1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out tips? (Sorry for making it a bit long)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Madness, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Madness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I'm only 15 and only yesterday 10/07/13 did I accept the fact that I'm a lesbian after 3 whole years of denial. My family don't know yet..I came out to one of my BESTFRIENDS yesterday and she supports me 100% when I was 13, I thought I was confused and going through a phase, I just wanted to be normal and fit in so I pushed the feelings aside. I acted straight, I acted it and rehearsed and copied what I straight person would do..I did a great job apparently because no one realised. I thought I could have been pansexual because I had liked a few girls for their personalities, then I thought maybe I was bisexual because I found a few guys pretty attractive and I liked the idea of being with a guy..but then actually going through with it and kissing a guy revolted me. I couldn't do it. I had lots of boyfriends to blend in, but the relationships were never successful and I always ended up dumping them because I just wasn't attracted to any of them. So I gave up on dating. I didn't want to do that. My sister would say things like "your single because you can't get a boyfriend", she had no idea I was a lesbian but her statement was right, I couldn't get a boyfriend because pretending and using people disgusted me. That was when it hit me, I'm a lesbian, and I finally accept that this is who I am. I wanted to tell my friend since second grade when she told me "everyone is turning gay or bisexual..but I know for sure your straight", she looked so happy and relieved that I was 'straight' and I realise I can't tell her. I shut myself out a lot. I'm scared someone would notice me checking out girls and not guys. This secret and my anxiety and depression (results of something different) is getting all too much to handle. I have decided that this weekend I'm coming out to my sister and mum. I hope they take it well..I'm nervous..I chose to take them out for lunch to a trendy area were there is a lot of the gay community and if they make a huge scene and not accept me then they will look really stupid and homophobic. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of how I should go about this?

2. rjrh20

When you come out don't act in a joking manner, they may think you are kidding. Don't be stressed or scared because it will rub off on them and they may not be as accepting. That's all I have right now and GOOD LUCK!!!

3. Madness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay, thank you so much!

4. Ranz

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should come out to them. I don't really have any information on whether you think that they'd be accepting or not, but since they are the first people you thought of as telling, go for it. They should be understanding if they are really supportive of you. Just try being confident and keep the conversation casual until it's time. Even if you feel really, really nervous, I still think you should do it then. The sooner you tell them, the more faster you get the answer.
    About your friend from 2nd grade, I don't think someone who would not like you if you were a different sexuality than her can be called a friend, but time will tell us what happens...
    Good luck, hope it goes well, and hope this helped, even if a little.