1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom *Issues* Again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, May 3, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, for those who have been paying attention to what I've been posting (if you do, wow, you have too much free time, :astonished: lol). Anyways, My mom did 2 things today that gave me different emotions... Long story short, she's VERY religious, and a minister, but she seemingly accepted it, but never even acknowledged I ever said anything, >_<

First, I start talking about how my friend Kery is interested in moving in with me in an apartment together when I finally get a stable job (still waiting to see if I got it =P). And she remembered I talked about it before, and thought I said she wasn't interested, because I'm a guy, but it was the opposite. Mom wasn't comfortable with it, because "A Guy and girl shouldn't live together unless married" This time it was "She probably feels safer with you, since you came out as gay." This made me happy, she finally acknowledged I told her, and there was absolutely no awkwardness. "She's a lesbian, you know that." "Well, that just makes her feel safer." It was really weird way, and it may not seem like much, but god it made me happy... until...

She comes home from picking my sister up at work, with a book... "Here Tim, My Late Bday Present..." I look at it... guess what it was? A bible. -.- She pretty much just handed me a book saying that I'm going to hell... Yea, not the best way to make me happy -.- Anyways, She started off on "I Know You're Mad at God..." and I just tuned her out after that, she didn't say anything I haven't heard before. I just wanted to scream at her, telling her to stop pressing religion on me, I'm not a Christian anymore, and I doubt I ever will be, I was only one in the first place because I was a little kid who just did what his parents told him -.- I know she meant no harm, but I just can't help but take it badly.

Anyways, just needed to rant again >_< Was a very annoying day, made me feel good, then went in for a crash landing... *sigh* I understand she's a minister, and she, as well as all our family friends, know I am not religious in the least bit.

2. MeskElil

wow, that really sucks. i have mom troubles, too...and i get emotionally scarred every time anyone mentions religion, even though i'm die-hard christian. but from all the troubled times my mom and i have had, there's this one saying she had (in her HUGE level of tolerance that i've always loved about her) that she said whenever someone was being discriminated against because of their beliefs:
    "There's more than one way up a mountain."
    in other words, just because you aren't christian doesn't mean you're going to hell. no matter what you believe, as long as you aren't a REALLY BAD person, you're going to be fine.
    and don't let your mom get to you. i think she honestly just wants you to be happy...bypassing the whole anti-gay thing in the bible. she probably wanted you to read about how jesus and god love you no matter what...:icon_bigg. well, hey, it's another way to look at it, right? and plus...i honestly think that's what she thought she was doing.
    good luck on everything, okay?

3. BreakingGlass

I think her heart was in the right place. It was nice of her to acknowledge your coming out too. I think she just need more time to let things sink in more.

4. Grof142007

totally sucks tell her about the Free Of Religon in the COnst =)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I'm not religious at all, and I've read the Bible. It's a really interesting book, even if you're not religious. Pick up a copy of Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible - good stuff.

Just remember - your mother's got her own issues to deal with. She's been told that homosexuality is wrong for decades, that gays go to hell, etc etc. It's not easy to be told "oh, your son's gay, but your religion is wrong anyway". To her, it's like us being told that actually the sun is in orbit around the earth. "Sorry - all those scientists were wrong." It's a lot for some parents to handle.

Your mom probably is still coming to grips with this. And the fact that she still talks to you is a great sign. But remember, from her religion's perspective, you're headed for the flames of hell, and she obviously doesn't want that for you. So she's trying to prevent that. Her giving you that Bible is the religious equivalent of tossing a life preserver to a drowning man. It may be misguided, but it's well-meant. Thank her for the gift, and for caring. And read the good parts. The Book of Ruth is cool. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. paint

I heard something interesting today about King David's relationship with Johnathon ...and sexuality is not mentioned in the ten commandments. Back in King James' day, translation was very loose and slow so...I dunno.

7. Rahata

That's some good advice there. Lex always seems to know the right words to say. :grin:

8. MeskElil

:lol: yeah, i noticed that. i've thought for a while that David and Jonathon are a gay couple. all you have to do is read some of the lines in there (it's in First Samuel)...some things Jonathon says to David are clearly more-than-friends. but yeah, I thought that was kind of cool. and no, it doesn't say anything about it in the ten commandments.

so maybe it's not as bad as the book of Romans makes it out to be. :icon_bigg and again...your mom really means well.
    good luck, okay?

9. Jim1454

Overall, I'd say it was a positive. Lex has it right - thank her for the gift and put it aside for now. You do your thing, and let her do hers. Who knows... maybe she's right. But I'll be waiting for you in hell when you get there, so you'll be in good company! :grin:

It reminds me of my worst Christmas gift ever... my mother in law bought me a Dr. Phil book - Be All That You Can Be or something lame like that. When I opened it I was like - wtf?!? Looking at my wife at a complete loss as to what I should say... And my mother in law doesn't say something like "Jim, I read that book and found it really inspiring so I thought you'd enjoy it." Ooooh no - she says (with her evil, nasty, kackilly mother-in-law-ish voice) "Now Jim, be sure to read the whole thing!"

Mmmmhmmm, Thanks. :dry:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I can possibly top that. For Christmas one year, my brother bought me a book called "Finding the Right Career for You". This despite the fact that I had two jobs, loved them both, and had no intention of changing careers. My brother, however, felt otherwise. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. smartguy

hmmm well a priest at my church said that it isn't a sin to be gay, just to have gay sex (lol, the two go hand in hand right?). im not religious though