1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out to my parents as transgender?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Girl17, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Girl17

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I really want to start to transition and I am so scared to tell my parents. Any advice for coming out? Any help is much appreciated :icon_bigg

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Can you give people more details on the situation.

3. FloatingPiano

Yeah, I think we do require a bit more info, if your comfortable sharing. :slight_smile:

Do you know what your parents' stand is on LGBT people?

4. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you are scared to directly come out, try testing the waters alittle? Bring up things like gay marriage, DOMA, etc and see their reactions, and then start from there. Be prepared to answer a whole bag ton of questions though. People don't seem to be as informed about what its like to be trans* than it is to be gay.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

When I came out, I just said it, I let them ask questions and I answered them to the best of my ability. There will be questions, don't let that dissuade you, it's only normal, coming out as trans isn't as simple as coming out as gay or lesbian. Gay and lesbian is more common now, most people know what gay and lesbian means, you might have to explain what exactly it is to be "trans". I hope this helps.

-Charlie