1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my Dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GeorgieBoy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. GeorgieBoy

Hey guys :smilewave
    So I haven't checked in on EC for a while, but you guys have given me some great advice in the past so I thought I'd turn here for some more advice now that I could use some. So, in the past few weeks I've come out to some of my closest friends, including my best friends and my sister. And it feels good! (!) It feels great, actually! Anyway, I'm VERY close to pretty much all of my friends knowing. Soon enough, I'm just going to let people start telling others as I don't feel like I need to keep it a secret any more. The only problem is my Dad. First of all, I should probably mention that my Mum does know, I just never talk to her about it because we're not as close. Me and my Dad are much closer, but I've never told him this. I'm not worried that he'll be bothered by it. My only worry is that, if I tell my friends first, he'll be hurt. The longer I wait, the more I worry, so I want to do this soon. The way I'd probably do it is my writing a letter for him. But I'm not totally sure. Do you think I should wait, and risk him maybe feeling hurt by being the last to know? Or should I start writing a letter now, and if so, what should I write? Hopefully, someone can help. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks as always, guys! :thumbsup:

2. ToBeGayOrNotTo

Well I literally just now came out to my dad face-to-face, and he knows I told my friends before him and it was fine. Just think this way, if he's close to you, then he would understand. He is you dad, he will love you no matter what. So what I'm trying to say is get it off your chest as soon as possible, and do it face-to-face, it's the best thing to do in my opinion. You don't have to listen to me but I just wanted to try and help.

3. BabyKoalas

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the sounds of it you've already pretty much decided that you want to tell him soon, but just want someone to give you a pep talk first :wink: If you're really close and think that he might get hurt if you tell all of your friends first, then he may well do. You know him best. I think do it in whichever way you feel more comfortable doing it. If writing a letter seems the most natural to you, then go for. In terms of what to include, as simplistic as it sounds, just the truth. It doesn't need to be a literary masterpiece, just tell him that you're gay, but that you're still you and that you still love him and hope for his support perhaps?

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it :slight_smile:

x x x

4. GeorgieBoy

Thanks both of you for your advice! I'll definitely take in on board! However I decide to do it, I'm certainly a lot more confident about it now. So thanks both of you for that :slight_smile:

5. enigmeow

It is interesting.. I came out to darn near everybody including the postal worker yet I never came out to my father... The only person in my family I am still in the closet to..

6. BabyKoalas

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anytime, bud. Anytime :slight_smile: x x x