1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Came Out too a Teacher, and Nobody Else

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stompy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Stompy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only person I have ever come out to is a teacher (the teacher was supportive,) and that was largely on an impulse. I wouldn't call it an accident, because it is true after all, though this is how the exchange began: First, however, a little background information may be necessary. I am a teenager who has been dealing with depression for many years. Though it probably doesn't help, I am not depressed because I am closeted. The cause of this depression would, instead, appear to be genetic. With that said, I often find myself wondering about getting a boyfriend and whether or not that would help. Unfortunately, whenever I think about that, I remember the fact that this is largely impossible at the moment. Therefore, I feel defeated as well. Now, in regards to the fore mentioned exchange with that teacher, I was talking about how concealing my feelings and lying about the way I am made me a better actor. After that, I said, "for example, you would never guess that I am gay." Of course, the teacher was supportive, but I was stunned by how easy that was. Yet, I still cried, because revealing a secret like that, one that I carefully kept under wraps for some two years, is painful. Saying it is easy, but dealing with the feelings that come along with it is very difficult. Thus, I came to the conclusion that I am just not ready yet, though if I believed that, I wouldn't be here. So, now I am conflicted. :help:

2. Gen

Gen

Most people get at least a bit emotional when they come out. It essentially solidifies that everything has officially become 'real'.

You should always wait until you would feel the most comfortable to come out. Though I would like to recommend that you don't simply wait for the day to present itself to you. Unless you feel that coming out might jeopardize your safety or health, it would probably be better to get it over with sooner, rather than later. We can never reach the finish line until we overcome hurdles. The faster its put to rest, the faster you will be able to improve your life in an open and accepting environment.