1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do i come out? Or do i wait?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tomwinsatlife, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Tomwinsatlife

Hi all, only my second post, buy i needed to ask this. So im 14 going to be a freshman next year, and i go to an annoying preppy private school which happens to be catholic. Uhhh. I have i think always known in my heart that i was gay, but i only understood my emotions at around age 11. I come off very masculine, and have never been suspected of being gay. Only recently have i come to terms with my sexuality and embraced the fact that i am GAY. Ahh tht feels great to say. Anyway i came out to my cousin tyler who is 16 and out as gay with a boyfriend. He was awesome nd accepting. It felt great. Well now i feel trapped. I know im gay, and i know my family would probably be fine with it, but i have a lot of friends at my catholic school who im sure would find it awkward. I really dont want to change any of my relationships with my friends, but i am gay. I love my friends and family and they are all so nice and loving, but i just cant come out to any of them. I guess its cuz im comfortable right now with my friendships. I dnt want that to change, but i also want the conversations about hot chicks with my best friend to stop. So should i just stay the way it is untill im leaving high school and more mature, or do i need to face my fears and just come out? Help!!:bang:

2. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me ask you this. Why do you think you need to come out? Have any of your (assumed) straight friends come out as straight? I'm guessing probably not. Some people feel they need to put that out there, but I personally don't know why. If they NEED to know, you can tell them, if you want to tell them, you can tell them, or if they outright ask you, you can tell them. Or not.

I choose not to tell anyone because it doesn't matter, it doesn't define me in anyway (though some people might say it does) but if they ask, then yes, I'll tell them. I could lie, because it's none of their business, but that would just create more problems in the long run.

If you're one of those people who feel you need to come out, then try and see how your friends/family members (though if your cousin came out and has no problem with it, the latter shouldn't be that much of an issue) feel about the LGBT community, or members of it. Now, how they react to that might be different then how they react to you. I don't want that to dissuade you, but you should be prepared for that possible outcome. You can tell them individually or as a group, and you can also choose to tell them not to tell others.

You ask if you should face your fears and come out. Are you afraid of the act of coming out, what might happen if you do, or simply people knowing?