1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you come out to someone who already knows?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tryhtwfr, Jul 15, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

Well I have this friend who has a gay dad (now deceased). And she will always drop comments like "I can't wait for you to come out the closet" and "you're my GAY bestie!" and blah blah blah. And one time on the phone I was like "I want to meet up with you like in starbucks and tell you something important" and she's like "OMG are you finally coming out?" and I'm like "Nah."

So I really don't know what to do, I just feel awkward and embarrassed when someone asks me if I'm gay because I was bullied extensively in Year 9 for a rumor that went around saying "I was gay" which turned out a joke at first until people started believing it....

2. LD579

You could probably just tell her through text... if you wish. This would be very easy, in the grand scheme of things. Of course, it falls down to what you're comfortable with and when you feel ready.

3. Abbra

I think you need to make it clear that you want this topic approached with the utmost seriousness. If when you come out she starts making comments about how she knew all along, just explain to her that this is very hard for you. She will understand and calm down if you make it clear that you're having problems with it.

I know that sometimes it isn't always comforting for them to already know, and it can make the whole thing feel somewhat saddening. However, just remember that if they already love you, then they will support you through everything. Just talk to her. Talking is always the key.

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    JUST TELL,you wil just get plenty of support '-'

5. tryhtwfr

Thanks. I don't want to take the easy way out to the first person I want to come out to.

I understand completely but like I don't know. With her, I imagine coming out and she will be like "Oh I knew and stuff" then the conversation will shift but I just want there to be a conversation of letting it off my chest and her asking me questions and me responding so I can feel better about myself? Do you get me or am I being a bit weird?

Also, I've never come out but from you guys experiences, do you feel that after you come out that you can finally talk about this boy/girl being hot and stuff with straight people?

6. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She is clearly fine with it, maybe next time she says something like "Are you finally going to come out" do it in a back-handed way? Perhaps reply with something like "I'm never going to come out if you keep pushing me!" or "I keep trying to come out to you but I can't get a word in edge-ways!"

And I only came out to most people last month (And my best friend 5 days ago!) but so far, honestly, I haven't felt comfortable talking about it around them. With my parents it's like they don't believe I'm bi and are expecting me to come out as gay at some point so they're ignoring it until that point (They were fine when I told them but haven't mentioned it since) And when I came out to my best friend I sort of panicked and said "But it's not like I'll talk about it at all, I wont change at all" and despite his insistence that it'd be ok for me to talk about guys I liked, I kept insisting that I wouldn't so now I don't want to look like a liar (That second one is entirely my fault though)

It has just hit me that edge-ways might be a local colloquialism. But still, you can probably from the context what it means.

#6 Thaliondae, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. Abbra

8. LD579

To clarify: I mean to say that no matter what you do, it'd be easier coming out to her than it would be to someone else... generally speaking, whether that's through texting or if you do it in person. Texting isn't necessarily the easy way out, either. It's about what's best for you and your situation (And I say 'you' in the general sense here).

I understand what you mean about wanting to talk about it more rather than just telling her and the conversation shifting. You can't control what she'll say, but you could always just try to shift the conversation the way you want it to. Just that one time, I doubt she'd mind, especially since coming out is about you, and not her... not to be self-centered, of course, but that is kind of just the way it is.

Ex. After telling her, you could say that it was a big step for you and that you're glad you got it off your chest. Then you could say something like now you can both point out guys to each other, etc.

Obviously, that's just an example. This should be natural and not forced and scripted, you know? I wish you the best =)

9. tryhtwfr

Aww thanks guys! I've read all the responses and I'm feeling more confident in telling her and also how I could do it! When she gets back from her holiday, I'll plan on telling her. Thanks for all your support :slight_smile:

10. bdpotter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Here's another advice, you don't necessarily have to say it to her "I'm gay." Just start talking about a guy that you like (if you do) or a random guy you see on the street, that he's hot, or cute, or whatever. It will confuse her at first, and then see her reaction, and you can tell her honestly. Those comments that she drops, they are there probably as a hint, that she's ok with that and you can tell her. You don't have to put the pressure of a serious conversation with her, you will have those plenty with other people. This way you can somehow ease into it, and after that (if you'd like) you can actually talk about guys you like with her.
    Honestly I'd like to have a friend that is constantly dropping comments like that, for me it would take all the pressure away.

11. ScatteredEarth

I would ask of her to not make a big deal out of it, because when people make jokes like that it drops my courage alot and I become really really nervous around them. And that doesn't fare well.

12. Sardonic

Hey there,

When I came out after a good long run of self denial, the first person I told was my absolute best friend Sarah. She is a bit (quite a bit) older than I am, and we are both gamers--that's how we met. When I told her she's like "I'm happy for you that you finally figured this out!" and then after some more conversation she told me that she knew I was gay/bi "the day that I met you." At first it felt really awkward because I was worried that it was that obvious.

However, I quickly remembered that my friend is a stellar judge of character (her hunches about people are almost always right). And what I found comforting is that she stuck around for three years while I was in denial and in a horrible mental place because she thought I was important/worth it enough to stick around for. At the end of the day, I am happy she knew because it tells me that she had always accepted me... and that means the world to me.