1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about my coming out to my grandma.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChristianHipstr, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ChristianHipstr

If you've ever read my posts, just want to clarify this is my other grandma, not my mean bipolar one.
    But anyways, yesterday I came out to her. I was with my sister at her house. My sister and her boyfriend were both changing (we had been swimming) and I was alone with my Nan. I saw this as a "now or never" moment and said her name... She responded with "What?" She's a busy body and was walking all over the place, and said again "What do you need sweety?".. At this point she finally faced me and I looked like a deer in headlights. She walked closer and asked what was wrong... I just looked at her and softly said "I'm not exactly.. "straight"..." She just put her hands on my face and looked at me and said "You know I'll always love you, and don't get so worked up over something as silly as being who you are. I'm proud of you." Then she hugged me, and bless her heart, but I'm about a foot taller than her so she was on her tip toes :')
    Then my dumbass, still taking it all in, was like "So... your Ok with it?"
    Here's what confused me... she said "It's my own problem that I'll have to deal with in life" I know she obviously still loves me, but did she mean it was seriously a "problem"? I just don't know what to think of that comment.. Any family members have any clarification for this???

2. LD579

I think she's acknowledging that she has a problem with it but that she needs to get over herself because love and acceptance is better than hating what she doesn't understand yet... if that makes sense.

Congratulations =) This was a big step and it took courage. Cheers to you.

3. Abbra

I think that she's simply acknowledging that she needs some time to think about things.

Basically, you need to be there for each other and help one another through this confusing time.

4. ChristianHipstr

Oh wow Im sorry !! She said is was my problem, not hers.
    "It's your own problem that you'll have to deal with in life"

5. Abbra

Oh, well that's way different.

This I think will best be solved with time. Older people generally have the mentality that homosexuality is a choice or a phase. You just need to show her that there isn't anything wrong with homosexuality and that it's a part of who you are. Don't push it on her. It sounds like she's already partially on her way to accepting it as a whole. Just give her time to love the gay community. My mother said something similar to me when I came out to her. She said that it would be hard and that I was just confused. However, she has grown to the idea because she knew acceptance was important. Just give her your patience, and she will come around. She loves you, and she will love every part of you with time.

6. LD579

Oh, well, that changes the meaning quite a bit, ahaha. It could've meant many things. I think it'd be best not to linger on what she might've meant, especially if it may have been negative, because she truly may not have meant it and might've just said it in the heat of the moment, so to speak.

In a way, it would be your own problem to deal with, so she may have just meant that, purely at surface value. That's what I'm guessing, at any rate.

7. darlig ulv

I think she feels uncomfortable about it. But she wants to be able to accept you since she understands that the fault isn't in you.

8. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe it's possible that she thinks you have a problem with it. You said you looked scared when you told her, so maybe she thinks you don't want to be what you are. Or maybe she's referring to the problems you may have if you come out to everybody.

Either way, it sounds like, to me anyway, that she doesn't care and only wants the best for you. =) Glad you were able to tell her!