1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some courage to come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Matty1994, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was planning on giving my mum a letter telling her that I'm gay but I decided against that and the letter will probably go in the bin!
    At the moment my parents are sat in the lounge watching t.v and probably will be for a few hours before they go to bed. So my plan is at some point before they go to bed is to go in there and give them a note I have written that simply says "I'm gay". When I give it to them I'm thinking of saying something like "Read this and tell me what you both think". Anyone think that's a good idea or not? I just need to grow some balls and walk out of my room and tell them. :help:

2. Amerigo

i think that's relatively "easy" (and by easy i mean hard, coming out is not really easy at all), than if you sit down and talk with them. it'll certainly be a shock to them, good or bad, they'll need a cushion to help them process the information, and you'll be that cushion. you see, i once thought it was a good idea to casually tell my mum i was gay and then go off to bed, but god knows how she'd react, and how'd i face her the next morning etc.? i thinka letter is good, even if you do write two words - "i'm gay" - but be sure to talk to them afterwards. walking off could lead to confusion and misunderstandings. that's how i see it anyway. good luck and be brave :slight_smile:

3. gavguy

gavguy Guest

If you feel that the time is right and that you will get the support needed then go for it, just remember that you have the support of the EC forums.
    Writing a letter may help you overcome the anxiety and again if you feel that you are more comfortable doing it this way then that's fine.
    If you manage to go ahead and give them the note then I wish you all the very best, keep posting and never feel alone :icon_bigg

4. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No I wouldn't walk off and leave them with all those questions! I already know how it feels to have a load of questions but no one to talk to. I did have a long letter written out but think it got into too much detail which is why I thought the note would be a good idea :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2013 at 08:03 PM ----------

I've been waiting to do it for so long I know I'm ready and I see no reason for them to react badly but you just never know how they'll react which is the part that scares me!

5. gavguy

gavguy Guest

It's totally natural and understandable, fear of what reaction you will get is something that happens to all of us. Don't feel rushed, only when it's time to tell people will you feel it in your own heart (*hug*)

6. nkwacky

nkwacky Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well Matty, although coming out is a very personal decision and everyone has their own way of going about it, I would say that the best option always is to have a face to face chat. Somehow we guys tend to overthink things and make them seem worse than they are. I know coming out is scary. But trust me it is better out than in. You will feel so relaxed. Most parents will be supportive, and even if they aren't, at least you will know.
    Just take a deep breath, calm yourself and speak to them as their confident son who is sure of himself. They might have questions for you, so you need to be calm and level headed to assure them everything's ok.
    Good luck and take care:kiss:

7. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, good advice I'll let everyone know how it goes if it happens tonight!

8. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck, I'm rooting for you! Everything's gonna be fine :slight_smile:

9. nkwacky

nkwacky Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

You're welcome. So excited for you!! Keep us posted mate.:thumbsup:

10. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sadly I couldn't bring myself to do it, my dad just started moaning at me the second I walked into the room, which is what normally happens.
    Think I might just leave the letter I wrote in the kitchen tonight so they find it when they wake up (which will be before me) and hopefully they go off to work with the day to think about it then ask me questions when they get home.

11. chrisV

i haven't come out to my parents, so i don't have advice in that respect, but i did come out to a few friends. all i can say is that the feeling afterwards is great, and you will feel so much better.

12. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure it is a great feeling, hopefully something that I will be able to feel tomorrow when I wake up!

13. wittyusername

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

14. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I did it, my mum has been fully supportive of me and said that nothing changed after a lot of crying from us both! My dad's still at work but she said he doesn't understand it but he's not planning on disowning me, so that's something I guess! Thanks everyone for the support :slight_smile:

15. gavguy

gavguy Guest

(!) WELL DONE (!)
    I can imagine that you feel so much happier and that you don't have the world sitting on your shoulders now ?
    No more hiding, the future is bright now and I wish you all the very best :eusa_clap

16. purpleboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    well done buddy :slight_smile: wish you all the best.

17. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks a lot guys :slight_smile:

18. wittyusername

Congrats that's awesome!! (!)

19. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wooooo congratulations! Glad everything went well for you!