1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by josh9623, Jul 17, 2013.

1. josh9623

ok, so I'm staying with my sister for a while and part of my plans is coming out to her. but since i've gotten here it seems like i might have a little trouble. any ideas on how to do it?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The best way is to just kind of drop hints, like, when you and her are alone talk about a cute guy. Although if you want to be formal about it you can, just make sure you have a nice private setting and clue her in on the fact you have something important to tell her. :slight_smile:

3. My Simple Song

Out Status:
    Some people
    agreed, subtle hints, although if she already suspects that you are gay or hardly ever talk to her about important issues then "we need to talk" is probably not the best as it might make it blatantly obvious... i learned that the hard way...

4. josh9623

so whenever we're walking around should i just stop trying to hide the fact that I'm checking out and flirting with guys while we're out? or would that maybe be not too subtle?

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Why are you making it harder than it needs to be? :slight_smile:

Is your sister accepting and supportive? If so, why not have a chat with her, and let her know. When you say you are having 'a little trouble,' what do you mean by that?

6. josh9623

by a little trouble I mean that I don't really feel comfortable bringing it up with her even though I know she would be accepting.

7. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's okay if you don't feel comfortable yet. Maybe give it a bit more time then. There is no rush in coming out.

Is there a particular reason why you don't feel comfortable in coming out to her?

8. josh9623

No, there's not really a particular reason, I just have a hard time telling people close to me.

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's okay. If you have a hard time coming out in person, maybe try giving her a note. It might be easier on you. Something to think about.

Take your time. If you want, try dropping hints then. When you are walking together around, maybe try saying 'this guy is cute,' and gauge her reaction.

10. kitkattz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :frowning2: I have the same issue... Give it time, and it should be ok.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although dropping hints might work, you need to put yourself in her shoes (sandals?). If you prevaricate, or beat around the bush, she might think all kinds of things, and this will increase her anxiety.

Just say it in the first or second sentence the moment you have some time alone with her. I would recommend doing as follows: "Do you have a minute? It's a bit hard for me to say this [look at her] but you need to know that I'm gay."

You may stumble, and feel embarrassed a little, but saying it first gets it out of the way. Watch for her reaction, then you can start explaining.

When I quit my job of 5 years (and my boss very much wanted to keep me) I said that I had to leave the company before I even fully sat down in front of her. It gave her no time to let her imagination run wild, it's a fact...to be discussed after the fact is established.

12. josh9623

I think i'll try to tell her on friday. I think part of my anxiety is that I have not had a chance to be alone with her, and it's kind of weird (in my opinion) to come out to my sister right next to my brother in-law. but he'll be working friday, and my sister has the day off. Maybe I'll manage to tell her then.

13. josh9623

well I almost did it. we were about to go somewhere so I got rushed and nervous, and I couldn't do it. I am leaving on Tuesday and I really don't want to leave without having told her. The only opportunity I might get is while my brother in-law is working over the weekend and it would be if me and my sister slipped out somewhere (He will be working from home). I really don't want to do it in public but I guess I could. Does anyone know what I should do?

14. olides84

If you REALLY want to do it, then force yourself into the situation. Tell your sister that you want to talk about something personal in private this weekend. Tell her there's no real rush, but just something important you want to talk about before you leave. She of course will be interested and then she can then take the lead about talking in another room, the car, or wherever - doesn't have to be public.

15. bscott92

Agree with olides84. If you mention that you want to talk to her about something, you kind of force your own hand. Then she will probably ask you about it when she's in the right mood to have a serious conversation. It has never gone as badly for me as I made it out to be in my mind.

16. josh9623

Since I didn't force myself to come out over the weekend I am going to write a letter and e-mail it to her when she gets off work. I will post a copy of it on here either later tonight or tomorrow.

Does this sound good since I haven't been able to just tell her?

17. 2112

That's what I did. I immediately regretted it because I knew it would be awkward and uncomfortable. But then I had to say it, and I'm glad I did. Forcing yourself into a situation where you have to say it makes it easier than just trying to say it, or at least it did for me.

18. josh9623

I decided to make this instead of writing a letter. (although it is a bit of a pain to send)

Attached Files:

19. josh9623

I might just tell her I have a girlfriend named Alberta in who lives Vancouver. lol

20. josh9623

I just sent her an email with the animation, and if it goes well I think I'll use it to come out to my other sister as well. I'm not really freaking out, but i am a little nervous.