1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kdt, Jul 18, 2013.

1. kdt

kdt

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ive been going out with my girlfriend for over a month now and shes told her parents about me (her parents knew she was bi-sexual a long time ago) but I havent told my parents yet because ive never told them i was Bi. I feel like I should tell them as I dont want her to feel like shes being kept a secret from my family because I really do love her and I really want out relationship to work and I think it could. I just dont know how to tell my parents. I dont live at home anymore as I had to move to a different city for university but i'm still scared and unsure as to how to tell them about this. My parents have never bothered about my guy friends all being gay but I know its different when its your own children. Im just worried about how to tell them and how they'll react. Any advice on how to tell them would be reaaalllly helpful right now. thankyou so much for your help!

2. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

I don't think there is a perfect way to say it. If i were you i would simply say that you need to tell them something important, something that you hope, won't change the way they feel about you.

3. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally agree with BelleLey. There's never going to be a perfect way to tell them nor is there a right or wrong way. The best advice I was given when I came out recently was to breathe and take your time. Take a deep breath and just say it. Try not to dance around it too much and get straight to the point. It's probably going to be one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do, but the sense of relief and liberation afterwards is so worth it. Goodluckkkkkkkk! Hope everything goes well :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

4. SooConfusedRN

I think you should tell them that you have a girlfriend, but dont know what you're sexuality is, even though you know you arent straight.