1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You'll know when I want you to!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocking23, May 5, 2008.

1. rocking23

** = My name

I'm getting rather fed up of people constantly saying "** are you gay?" "** do you like girls or boys?" "** what do you think of men?"

What gives them the right to ask those questions? It's my personal, private life! I know I'm gay, but like my title said: You'll know when I want you to!!

They're always asking so abruptly! I always get so.. well you cant explain it, but you all know what i mean...

I just cant stand the constant insinuative questions.

!! RAWR !!

2. Rahata

Hey,
    I think they ask because either they want to get to know you better, or they just like to tease you. When I was in school it was a joke my friend use to toss around to each other. I wouldn't let it bug you. Just blow it off or answer as if you were straight until your ready to come out. I played straight for years. When you feel ready you'll answer those questions truthfully but until then don't let it bug you so. I mean their only words right.

3. Jim1454

No idea why people would ask such insensitive questions. I'd have a good reply ready and waiting...

When asked "** do you like boys or girls?" reply back with "Do you like being a loser?"

4. JSG

JSG Guest

I may not be giving you the advice you want to hear but there was this guy when I went to school that everybody kept asking if he was gay and he's always deny it.
    A few month ago, I saw him work as a bartender in a gay bar, and yes, he's very gay. People suspect it and want to know if it's true or not, even I asked him.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no trouble with people asking that question. Never have. Before I came out, I said "I'm not sure - I'm still trying to figure that out." Afterwards, I said "Yes, I'm gay."

If you don't treat the answer like a secret, people won't be interested in the answer. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

I think it depends on what sort of person you are though. See I find it diificult to talk to people about my sexuality, even if I really want to tell them!! I find it easier if asked to admit I'm gay than actually going out my way to tell them. But I do see you point... it really isn't anyones business unless you want it to be. Still there isn't much you can do to stop them asking.

7. rocking23

Lexington, that has got to be the best answer to my question I have ever heard!
    To be honest, I have never thought about it like that!
    WOW! You opened my eyes (lol)

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for being forthright, but if you don't feel comfortable doing so, there's always the non-response-response.

Basically giving them something vague which they might infer in a certain way but later allows you to clarify that you were just giving a vague answer that they chose to interpret their own way.

If you're not ready for them to think you might be gay, and can pull off a little theatrics, you could say something like "Wow, are you implying you think I'm gay? That will tend to put them a little off-balance, as though they've offended you, and they will probably drop the subject and assume they're wrong. You might be surprised at how often that works.

Unless, of course, they are gay or have amazing gaydar, and then they'll probably recognize it as an evasive non-answer :wink: