1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming out to mom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Deb, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Deb

Deb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a therapist appointment on August 20, and was waiting on even thinking about this until before then, because I was hoping to get some advice on this subject from him. But my anxiety about keeping this secret is just starting to get too much. My heart keeps fluttering, and being anxious all the time just sucks. So I'm starting to toss the subject around in my head.

It's weird though, I'm sure she would be okay with it if I came out as gay, she has a gay cousin, and everyone's fine with him. But I'm not so sure she'll be able to accept me as a woman, and taking hormones and treating me like her daughter instead of her son.

I don't know it just seems like it might just be too much to accept, especially since I know she doesn't have extensive knowledge of trans people so I'm afraid she'll think the worst, and think of me as some kind of sexual deviant cross-dresser.

It's just I know that nothing would help me more than being able to be me without hesitation, not have to have this big secret weighing down on me, but I don't know, coming out seems almost as scary as living with this secret for another couple years.

2. boysdontcry

The sooner you come out to her, the better. She'll need time to adjust to it, and if you come out to her now it will be easier when you start to physically transition, instead of having to take it all in at once.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

What boysdontcry said. There's not much more to it, except the sooner the better. Good luck :slight_smile: