1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to come out to work when transitioning?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AudreyMarie, Jul 20, 2013.

1. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly as the title says.

I JUST started HRT to correct a majority of the masculine features in my body as was curious as to when you guys think I should come out to my work. As a heads up I work in retail at a Petsmart as a dog trainer.

Any recommendations?

2. Deb

Deb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd wait at least 6 months are so to let the hormones do some serious work. TBH I plan on waiting until I can't pass as a guy anymore, lol.

A big thing with regards to passing is voice, a good voice can really help so work on that if you aren't already. Also make up, and hair can also really help, and make sure to get your eyebrows trimed. Little things add up!

Hope all goes well for you, and I hope to be getting on the hormone train with you real soon!

3. PurpleCrab

That's a big topic to me. My work atmosphere isn't very open minded at all, so I tell some key people only and let the other ones figure it out by themselves. Eventually my boss will wonder why I still have a female nametag and will have it changed (hopefully before I get all the paperwork changed as well because that'll take time).

I've read treads on here who press trans people to just come out to their workplace long before transitioning, just to try and avoid problems. I disagree; most of society doesn't understand something that is invisible to them, that is, gender dysphoria. It starts making sense to them when they actually start seeing it (that means, when transition is well on its way).
    I also know some workplaces will have nothing to do with it until you show them your changed drivers license and birth certificate. Until then, they don't have to lift a finger to accommodate you and you will be stuck living as the wrong gender at work.
    At least, we've still got a job right? :dry:

Oh, a tip though. If you're mtf, feminize a lot in your workplace. I'd even say, feminize as much as it's allowed. Reverse for ftm. So it doesn't come up as such a shock when you come out to them. Also, you'll feel better.

4. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking that and I did review my handbook for dress code and it is as vague as all hell saying up to management discretion. I would love to start wearing polish to work ( I'm kind of addicted :grin:) but I have to keep tabs on customer reactions and I don't want to invite a negative atmosphere to where I work as Ohio is an "at will" state.

I was honestly thinking about just keeping on hrt until I can no longer pass as make and then come out, but wouldn't that be considered lying to my employer by omission? I do t know... The whole situation seems so.... Delicate.:icon_sad: