1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dont know...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by andythetimelord, Jul 20, 2013.

1. andythetimelord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so yesterday, I came out to 2 of my good friends on Facebook (pathetic, I know). I basically just said it in the middle of conversation, "Guys, I am transgender." My one friend, let`s call him J, just said, "No. I don`t believe you." My other friend, N, who is normally so accepting and had cheered me up when I was upset the moment before, tried to change the subject. Then, N changed the conversation name to "Operation: Man-Lady." and then J just said "Well this is weird so..." then I left the chat. What do I do?

2. Landion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a shock factor, I think, to those that we come out to. Unfortunately, in your case the way you came out may have added to it, so they didn't know how to respond and were kind of put on the spot a bit, in front of the other.

Maybe try talking to them individually, this might allow them to be less shy and allow a conversation.

3. andythetimelord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel awful for putting them on the spot and all, but I couldn`t hold it in anymore. I had been planning to tell them for a while and had been sort of dropping hints and had cut my hair short and and worn masculine clothes forever, so I sort of had thought that it wouldn`t really be a surprise, you know? Still, I plan on talking to each of them individually to clear things up and to apologize for being so spontaneous about my coming out and putting them on the spot like that.

4. Landion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just don't apologize for who you are! :slight_smile:

5. FloatingPiano

Yeah, I think their reaction is due to a bit of the shock factor. I would definitely talk to them in person and have a heart to heart with them. Tell them how your feeling, and let them know that their responses made you uncomfortable and/or upset.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully they will come around. :slight_smile: