1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by awesomeap88, May 5, 2008.

1. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really need a part time job. I had one over summer at the beach but because now winter is coming we had to close down. You may think "what's the problem, just go and apply for another job", but there is a problem.

I live a long way from my university (i am talking something like 40-50 kilometres away) and I dont know if I should apply for a job near home or near uni.
    If I get a job near home, I don't have to worry about moving out but studying so far away pretty much means I can only do something like night time shelf stacking at a supermarket and I could end up with getting very little sleep because I have to get up so early to go to uni.
    If I get a job closer to uni, it does open up some more options for a job but if I choose to still live at home I could end up in the same situation with sleep and could cost me more in petrol than what it's worth in wages. But I could move out (which I really want to do) either by myself or with friends/relatives. But moving out by myself would be very expensive, none of my friends appear to want to move out of home and I would feel awkward living with my aunt and uncle who live about 3 minutes away from uni (who would be the logical choice to move in with).

What should I do? :help:

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Why would you feel awkward living with your aunt and uncle?
    If your they are nice people, you should live with them. :icon_bigg
    Then later, maybe you can find friends who you could live with.

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's ultimately your decision, you need to look carefully at your options. From my own experience, I ended up living on my own at a cheap student flat, which, while it got me my independence, has left me with almost no money, although I don't have the time to get a part time job, if you get one that will certainly help and you should be able to get by with living on your own.

I think I agree with smilealways, you should see about staying with your aunt and uncle, it may be awkward but they should be accommodating. Your friends will want to move out of home at some point, they might just not be ready right now so you need to ask around a bit more, see if anyone's interested and try to convince them. You could stay with your aunt and uncle until you can find someone to get a place with

4. Rahata

Why not think on it. Living with your Aunty and Uncle might be a good choice. 3 minutes from uni. Close to work. You can go visit your friends / parents when ever you want. Its hard to move out at first but its nice to get out and be away from your parents imo. Talk to them about it and see what they think and what kind of boundries you'll have. Lots to think about but a part time job makes it worth it cause then you got money to spend. :grin:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not see what's available first? See what kinds of jobs you might be able to get both close to home and close to school. Your choices there should help make the final decision easier.

Lex