1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cloud, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Cloud

I really want to just, tell everyone that I'm gay. Should I just post on Facebook, set my "interested in" option to men, and just get it over with?
    The only problem is, that I go to a Christian school with super discriminating judgmental asshole christians. There would be Endless taunting. I really don't know and I need some advice. Thx.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say do whatever you feel absolutely, positively comfortable with doing. If you're afraid some assholes are going to give you a bad time, you might want to wait a while, until you're in a little better situation. It depends on what you're comfortable with. You can change your privacy settings to where people won't see when you change your info and change your interested in, if you really want to do that, and whoever looks at your info would know. Good luck (*hug*)

3. HeyAshley

Just changing everything on Facebook is a good way to have everyone just creating a bunch of rumors about you. It'll be easier if you just start admitting it face to face with people.

4. Fiddledeedee

The thing about Facebook is that, because of how it filters newsfeeds, if you post something there then it's likely that not all your friends will see it -- and even fewer would comment -- unless they go looking. This could be a good thing or a bad one, as you decide; it means that you can be out and about without having the impact of everyone talking to you at once, or it means that you want everyone to know but it's hard to do that except face-to-face.

As for coming out to people like that, that is again up to you. It could go better than you expect. People might not see it as a big issue. It might go worse. However, you say that you're out to most friends already, so with that safety net -- even if you never talk about gay stuff with them -- you can stay strong better if it does go badly, since being out to friends means that the people left at your school are presumably just acquaintances, who might not see you as much or know you as well.

If you decide to do so, then I think it'd be important to think of answers to possible questions and taunts beforehand so that you can handle it better at the time (including working out your answer should they say that being gay is a sin; even if you aren't sure of your own views on that, think of a non-committal answer so that they can't use that to bully you), and remember that you aren't actually under any obligation to engage with them if you don't want to, especially if they're rude; you can always try to walk away.

5. Wells

Wells Guest

If this is the case, is there a need to come out to them? If your closest friends are okay with it, thats one thing. You'll probably know them after school, but as for the others, ut sounds like they dont neef to know this. At least not yet. Dont get carried away...

6. leer

things like facebook -twitter has made it far to easy to to come out or in some cases be outed .IMO it the worst thing to do or have happen to you.

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

this