1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I should identify?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sincerelystefi, Jul 21, 2013.

1. sincerelystefi

A little backstory: I have been attracted to women and girls since a young age, not understanding the heterosexual-norm that even my parents pressed on to me. I identified as a lesbian for several years after identifying as bisexual since I wanted to have an open-mind but never felt a sexual attraction for men (though, there had been romance there). I have fallen in love with a man I find physically attractive, though this personal single attraction does not reflect my attraction for all men. i have heard someone suggest biromantic homosexuality, though that would mean I did not have an attraction for my partner. I do not want to offend other lesbians as I do have an attraction for a man, but feel as if I'd be lying if I identified as bisexual since that suggests I have an attraction for men beyond my partner. Typically, I do not care to identify myself anymore do to the fact that I feel sexuality is personal to me. Although, I am applying to and LGBTTTQ scholarship and I am also active in my local LGBTTTQ community so I am questioned quite often.

Any thoughts?

2. boysdontcry

It's perfectly reasonable to continue to identify as a lesbian, or, as you said, a biromantic-homosexual. There are always exceptions to the rule, sometimes people who are perfectly straight enter a physical and romantic relationship with a person of the same gender, and the other way around. We can't always perfectly fit labels, and that's fine. You might be one of those people.

3. FucSoc

FucSoc Guest

Every rule has exceptions. I identify as homoromantic, but I don't rule out the possibility that I will feel emotional attraction to a man someday. Your sexual orientation is your emotions for long-term. We are not robots, we're humans. And emotions is a very complex thing.

4. CuriousBunny

I think that you should throw away the labels and pull out the Kinsey Scale. Nobody identifies as a perfect 6, so you could say you're almost a 6 c:

5. LD579

Unfortunately, the Kinsey Scale has its set of problems going for it. The Kinsey Scale is just about sexual attraction and it's about quantifying something that isn't quantifiable. While it's a nice tool to start off with, for some it just is too... simplistic, and is flawed because of that simplicity.

To the OP: you shouldn't have to label yourself. If the organization and scholarship you're applying for even understand sexuality to a middle degree, they should know that labels are problematic for many.

If you really must, you could say you're bisexual but strongly lean towards women. That's easy enough to understand for many.

I could get into more complicated labelling and such, but... it just seems unnecessary.