1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i come out now, or should i wait till college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tomwinsatlife, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Tomwinsatlife

Hi all, im Tom and im 14. I've been questioning since sixth grade and am now identifying as a biromantic homosexual. Aka im gay haha. Well i have a couple if problems with coming out of the cliset. 1 i dont know if personally im ready. 2 the school im going to is catholic, is full of snobby rich kids, has like no lgbt stuff at all, is completely sports oriented, and is just skightly unfriendly. 3 all my friends think im uber straight and woukd never suspect me of being gay cuz im so freaking masculine on the outside (on the inside i just want to curl up in the arms of a cute boy and lay on his chest by the fire while watching the notebook). 4 i dint want any of my relationships with my family or friends to change.

So i am having trouble deciding what to do. At home i have an awesome liberal family who would be fine with me being gay. Ive already come out to my cousin tyler who came out six months ago, and it felt awesome. But i am a freshman in high school. Is it too soon. If i have all these problems with my school, should i wait to tell my family untill i go to college or what? Plz help:help:

2. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm single lol. Perhaps an arrangement? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You should do it when you are ready, when you are extremely comfortable with yourself. seeing how you have a liberal family, I think you should come out to them first and see what they say, it's likely that they will be fine with it. If your school is extremely homophobic then I suggest you talk it over with your parents, perhaps change schools or ask for their support.

If coming out at school doesn't seem to work for you now, wait for a bit longer and come back to this issue, repeat until you are comfortable and ready.

3. rose94

I agree with the above, only come out when you're ready. Your school doesn't sound like a good environment for it- do you like your school otherwise? If not, then maybe talk to your family (when you're ready to) and change school if you think that would be better.

There's no rush. :slight_smile:

4. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some catholic schools will expel for those kinds of revelations sorry because they are private and have a right to determine their own rule set. Your best bet is IF you are ready, come out to your family first. Then figure out what to do about school, cause you may want to consider other institutions instead of that catholic school

5. FloatingPiano

I would not rush into coming out if you are not 100% sure that you are ready to come out. If you are not completely ready, you may feel worse afterwards. Also, the school you currently attend might not be the best environment for you to come out. Like the poster above me stated, you could unfortunately face potential expulsion for coming out.

If you do want someone to tell, I would suggest talking to your parents. It seems like your parents would be a good support system for you.

6. boysdontcry

Definitely, don't rush into coming out. Do it when you're completely certain and if that takes until college, it's fine. Especially since coming out in a religious school like you described isn't really the best idea. However, if you want to come out, it sounds like coming out to your family would be a good idea. If they're accepting, as it's likely they will be, they can help you if and when you decide to be out in other situations/places, and be there to support you.

7. CaliGuy

I am in a similar situation, except I am bi but definitely lean more towards guys than girls. I always knew I 'liked' guys since I was around 10 or 11 but never truly knew what that meant. It was only really until my sophomore year that I finally realized I was bi and came to terms with that. However, I came out to one of my best friends and another good friend, who are both girls only a few months ago. I am not a feminine guy and appear very straight so I am scared come out because I have a lot of guy friends I want to keep as friends, but am afraid they'll treat me weirdly if I do come out.

I personally believe I will wait until college to come completely out, because I am so close to finishing high school (I will be a senior in the fall) and my parents are devout Catholics who think gay sex and the like is utterly sinful and disgusting. However, your situation is still different than mine and I think you should do what feels right to you.

8. CuriousBunny

When you are positive about your sexual orientation, I'd tell your parents, but that's it. In a Christian school, it's tough since they could kick you out.