1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch-up with friends tomorrow- do I tell?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rose94, Jul 22, 2013.

1. rose94

Some of my friends who have just finished their first year away at university are meeting up with me tomorrow. I'm wondering whether to come out to them or not?

One of them I know will be 100% cool with it. The other, I think she will...but not entirely sure. I don't want it to be awkward and mess up the general catch-up by saying something so 'big'. I mean, it's not to me, but might be to them. Especially seen as last time we all spoke, I was in a relationship with a male! :lol:

Do I go for it? If so, how?

I am going to wear my rainbow necklace and having been away from our small town for a bit, I'm sure they'll realise but...still scared.

2. wittyusername

If you are ready and want to come out to them, I would say go for it! Just say you have something to tell them, and say it, would be the best way to do it, I think. Good luck and keep us posted!! :slight_smile:

3. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you feel like telling them then go for it! If they're really your friends they'll be totally cool and supportive about it. I actually just went through a similar thing where I told friends that I hadn't seen in 6 months that I am gay, and it was great! They had a lot of questions, which you should be prepared for, but they didn't treat me any differently at all.

As for how to go about it, I would recommend not making a big deal of it. Just say that you wanna tell them something and then say, "I'm gay" or some version of that. There's a good chance that they'll be surprised, or even shocked, but don't mistake that for disapproval. It's just something new to them that they'll have to get used to.

Good luck! I hope everything works out!

4. rose94

:slight_smile: Eek! Kind of apprehensive but excited.

5. BadCanadaJoke

Just don't get your hopes up and get disappointed. Expect to answer a lot of question and go with a good energy! :wink:
    I'm actually inthe exact same spot you are. Summer after first year and.. I'm just too chicken to tell some of my best friendsXD
    good luck on you! :slight_smile:

6. CuriousBunny

I think you should definitely go for it. The supportive friend can even help explain to the other :3

7. rose94

Well that was an anti-climax. Ended up not telling them. The friend I was less sure of was gossiping about a girl at her university who 'feels everyone up, even the straight people' and kept banging on about how revolting she found it. She made a 'yuk' face and was like "eurgh, the noises when she has her girlfriend over."

So...decided best not to rock the boat at that point. Determined to tell her before next term starts though, if only to make her realise we are not all like that. I've known her over 7 years so it was disappointing to say the least.

8. wittyusername

Ah, that is disappointing that she would say something like that. (*hug*) Hope it goes well whenever you do tell her, though. :slight_smile: