1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding the courage to come out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holly, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Holly

Hi everyone,

After coming out to a lot of my friends recently, I've kind of realised how much I love being able to talk about my sexuality openly. However, part of me is feeling like I'm two different people, one when I'm around my friends, and another around my parents.

I've always known that I couldn't keep it from them forever, but I though I would do it after I go to Uni (in a years time) so I didn't have to be at home if it turns out they're against it.

I don't think they would disown me, or throw me out, but I think my mum wouldn't understand, as she has this perfect image of me when I'm older. I know coming out will change that image for her, and that's where I think she may freak... For my dad, I literally have no clue how he would react...

There are times when I think 'It would be so easy to say it right now' and these have become increasingly common. I just never have the nerve, or confidence to actually say it. I'm 100% comfortable with being gay, and I am very proud of who I am, I just can't face the awkward or misunderstanding conversation with my parents, especially my mum. But I want to tell them.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the courage to say it to them, or at least start up the conversation?

2. CuriousBunny

To start the conversation, you could ask your parents how they stand on gay rights. If they don't like it and ask why, say 'just wondering.' If they react positively, though, it could help your nerves and be a good conversation starter.