1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I ever find acceptance?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RCJ24, Jul 22, 2013.

1. RCJ24

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have just recently decided to come to terms with my sexuality and stop denying it that I am gay! That is really hard for me to say but I hope it will get easier with time. My main struggles is because I grew up in a conservative Christian family. They don't believe that gays should be allowed hardly any rights and they believe it is the worst sin someone could commit and all gays will go to hell regardless how good of a person they are. This has really kept me from coming out, I finally convinced myself that I would come out because I would still have the support of the lgbt community behind me. But then I am hit with another issue. Growing up under these strict views and values, I still hold a lot of those views. I am a very Christian person and I still have very conservative views! I do not identify as a republican because I don't agree with certain things, mainly gay rights/ marriage equality. But it scares me that I won't be accepted by the lgbt community because I am not liberal! I honestly don't know one single gay person who is not liberal, which is fine, I dont have a problem with that! Will I ever be accepted by anyone?

2. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well you're already on this community, so your journey of acceptance has started already.

You will find acceptance I assure you. Think of it in a Christian way, God is omnipotent, he is all powerful and great, and being the father that he is, he would never allow a son or a daughter to walk on this Earth if all they are going to find is hate and no acceptance.

Don't worry about being conservative and being gay, they aren't the opposite of each other. Being gay isn't exactly a choice you are born with it and you cannot change it no matter now much you try to suppress and deny it. Being conservative is just following and ideology which I have no issues with, I stand conservative on a few views and also liberal and that's fine.

I wish I could help more, but I'm not exactly the ideal representation of the LGBT community or out of the closet yet.

I wish you the best.

Good luck.

3. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I promise there are gay people who vote Republican, and even more who hold conservative views on economic type things. Heck, there are gay people who don't believe in premarital sex. There are lots and lots of gay people who are Christian, mostly denominations that welcome LGBTQ folk, but there are certainly some of us who identify with denominations that don't. Anyone who refuses to be your friend because of your political views (so long as they are non-offensive), is silly and a waste of your time.

4. Wells

Wells Guest

I dont really know what to say apart from being gay and conservative is okay. LGBT pretty much accepts and supports any homo/bisexual, they wont be (too) harsh. Plus you dont have to be an active member of an LGBT communitu, so they do not hafta know! :slight_smile:

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Im sure everyone to some extent have both liberals and conservative ideas, you can find acceptance as long... What can i tell you? There even people that consider that homosexuali is a sin yet they are close friends to an openly gay person, i believe in god but for some reason most of my friends are atheists or agnostic. If you are tolerant and understanding and light hearted you can just agree to disagree.

And is not common but it isnt as odd as you think to be a conservative person that supports gay rights/is gay itself. Just as many liberals dont agree with every liberal idea, i'm liberal at most things yet im pro gun. I also believe in evolution and big bang but i believe that God exist and participated in all those events.

So yes, you van find support and acceptance. Actually i trust more people that believe in things from different parties, i think is not good idea to blindly follow everything of just one party/ideology/belief system.

You can go out of the closet, dont worry , you will find people who accept you. Just make sure to come out first to people that would accept you more.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You don't find acceptance you give it to yourself.

Others are either open or closed to you, but acceptance is yours to bestow on yourself.

7. rusteejay

That, my friend, is the problem with democracy. We are delivered freedom in the palms of our hands, then have it taken away from us just as quick. We are actively encouraged to assume a position and mould yourself around those who also follow the same cause. The only person who ever found a middle ground in politics went crazy and scared everyone away from it. That man was Adolf Hitler. I think that to be one thing and be the other simultaneously is harmful to yourself.
    Don't take sides. If those around you won't accept who you are, then use your freedom to recreate that which you believe in. It's the moment when we feel the most trapped that we have the most freedom!