1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stay in the closet at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Scared Artist, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Scared Artist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well being a high school student is hard. Fitting in is harder. And with school starting here soon and no one but my closest friends knowing my sexuality, should I make it open that I'm a lesbian. It's harder to find people like me and I hate getting hit on by guys I have no attraction to but I'm scared people will judge me or look down on me. Especially my homophobic ex boyfriend... What should I do!?

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It all depends. Accepting or hostile school? Conservative rural area or suburb? How long until you graduate from high school? College plans? Like you said, the reason to take the leap is because you want to meet people you click with. Doing it to ward off guys who hit on you because you worry what they think of you is not so important. You don't owe them anything and shouldn't worry what they think of you. Chances are that, if you're off to college, they will have all sorts of groups, organizations, and generally be more liberal. And if you go to work, you'll find people more adult like, in most cases.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

What i'd do is keep closeted at first, but dont make yourself straight. So drop the subtlest hints you lesbian, not so people find out, but when you do come out later they could say 'oh, I should've seen'. So things like saying no to guys a lot and not speaking to them too much.
    Good luck anyways :grin:

4. Awkward Balloon

I agree with what Wells said, you don't have to come out but just don't pretend to be straight. :slight_smile:
    Before I came out, I began trying to make it obvious I was gay, so if ever I was asked about girls I would quickly change the subject. Unfortunately, nobody picked up on these hints, but I was still accepted by everyone when I came out.
    But I've been out for half a year now, and I'm still hit on by girls so that really doesn't stop. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I think you should take it positively, it means that they obviously like something about you which is a compliment!

5. robotman

I think you should come out if you want to. I didn't come out at high school and I wish I did, I regret not coming out... I think I would have enjoyed high school more, I would have been myself... I know you will be judged by a few people but I mean who cares? (you realize after you leave school that everything is so petty) everyone judges everyone for one reason or another so don't worry. That is something I regret in my life but I can't change it now. I am still not out and I think my life would be different if I opened up but that is life we live and we learn... I don't know when I will come out, I am 19 now and want to meet people but how can I meet people who feel the same way if no one knows how I feel?...

What I will say to you is ONLY come out if you want to, don't force it and don't let anyone else force you to do it... do it in your own time.

6. Scared Artist

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice guys! That makes a lot of sense! Now hopefully I can go to school and not have to hide who I really am