1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would holiday be a good time to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holly, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Holly

I'm going on a family holiday (me, my parents, my grandad, my uncle and his family, and my aunt and her family) and I've been thinking more and more about coming out to my parents, and perhaps my family.

I think, if it was just a normal day, I wouldn't have the courage to actually say it to them, but in a holiday environment, with us all living together for a week, I thought it would be a good time to tell everyone. Increasingly, I've had the thought 'I could just blurt it out right now and they'd know...', and I think that's my sign that I want to come out to them. I recently came out to a lot of friends, and it feels great being able to talk about it with them.

Do you think it would be a good time? Or would it be better with in a more secluded setting with just my parents?

2. olides84

If it was me, I'd tell the parents first so you don't blindside them with all your relatives around. You could pull them aside before you go on holiday, tell them that you've realized your sexuality and come out to some friends, and now you want to do the same with family, starting with the two of them.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

I definitely agree with olides 84, pretty much what I was going to say

4. FloatingPiano

Like the previous posters have stated, I think it would be good to tell your parents first so that you don't catch them off guard. It could make your holiday awkward. Just let them know what you have been feeling sometime before you go away, so you can both have time to process. This way, if your parents are supportive, they can be helpful to you when you come out to the rest of your family.