1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New job, new start?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by welshy92, Jul 24, 2013.

1. welshy92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have just finished university and during the 3 years I was there I came to terms with my sexuality.

Because of my recent acceptance and the fact that I play sport semi professional I am not exactly out the closet to my team mates and classmates apart from 2 best friends and my family even tho I am in a long distance relationship for 14 months.

Now I have finished university, I have now got a professional sporting contract and due to the nature of the sport (very hobphobic) I am unable to come out to my team mates (dont really want to).

However, I have also decided to join the police force as a part time job so that when I finish sport I have something to fall back on. I am pleased now that my application was successful for the police and I start my training in the coming weeks.

However, I don't know whether to do what the title suggests as a new start and openly admitt I'm gay to my work friends from the start, or say nothing and only answer if asked? (but then do I say i'm gay or not) or just stay in the closet.

Which route should I take? feedback would be nice please.

2. RainbowShy

I think you can keep your personal life out of your professional life because they don't have to blend if you don't them too. And it isn't their business. I would just be careful because sometimes people would try to fire you even if it is illegal.

3. nydtc

Well - I can't answer the question about being an out sportsmen, because I am about as far from that as could be. However, I have done the "in the closet" at work ( at one former job) and out at my most recent job.
    Yes you can be fired depending on where you live so that needs to be a concern. I will say it is very difficult to stay closeted at work - people talk ( weekend plans?, what are you doing for the holidays etc) and it get taxing having to be vague. I would say check out the environment of the workplace before you make a decision either way.

4. Wells

Wells Guest

I agree with this. Especially in jobs like this, homophobia is not uncommon. Being a policeman is a manly job, gays arent manly so they shouldnt be a copper. Thats their attitude. Something similar in whatever sport you play is probably true as well, be careful

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are plenty of Gay Police Officers out there in the UK, at the moment on Big Brother, there is actually a Gay Police Officer called Dan in the House & I think a Gay Police Officer Mark Carter won Mr Gay UK in 2006 :slight_smile:

Gay Police Association

Winners : MrGayUK

6. ClosetedFather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of the reasons I have not come out is because I too play semi-pro sports. Personally I have spent too much time in the closet and I think it really has hurt my performance. I think it has held me back. I am sure that its not the same for everyone. I came to terms with my sexuality a long time ago so self acceptance was not the issue its just wearing not living an authentic life. Its a regret for me. I hope to compete in the Gay Games next year but I quite a road ahead of me to achieve that goal.

7. Ian85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's a difference between actively coming out to your new coworkers and simply not hiding your sexuality. It's not like I walk down the halls of my office telling people, "By the way, I'm gay!" But if the issue of relationships is ever brought up, or I have a fun story to tell my coworkers about an ex-boyfriend or something, I'm not going to lie about it or refuse to tell the story.

I would say most government jobs (like the police force) are much more tolerant than the private sector, as they often have for stricter rules and regulations on non-discriminatory hiring and equality in the workplace. And they usually have formal avenues for resolving any issues, should they arise.