1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do gays have a place in the hip hop genre?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lowkey, Jul 26, 2013.

1. lowkey

lowkey Guest

Some of my friends, who are straight freestyle and so do I, but they'll talk about bitches a lot so it makes me feel a little out of place when its my turn. I can't talk about what I like sexual wise when I freestyle without feelin wierd since its in front of ppl I grew up with, there completely straight they've always known me as straight till recently n now they know me as bisexual, but I'm more gay then straight, I only label myself bisexual because I can sometimes get turned on by girls although most of the time I just get stressed. And also I don't feel comfortable yet coming out to everyone as gay. But I want to start making music, and I feel like I'm slowly breaking down the mental block and ill be able to put more emotion instead of fake emotion into my lyrics.
    Anyways, I do got my own skills, I'm not claiming to be great, certainly not gangster although growing up I spent a lot of time trying to be, either gangster or metro emo.

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2013 at 11:13 AM ----------

All n all I just need to vent, advice is appreciated

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Question: Why do you feel you need to have sex in freestyling??

3. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, "the gays" can be there too. Without coming out. Either pretend to like women more than you do, or don't talk about sex.
    Talk about rockets. Nothing can go wrong if you're talking about rockets.

4. Night

Night Guest

Except possible metaphorical uses of a phallic shape.

I'm joking. But, yes there's a place for gays in hip hop. I don't freestyle, but surely your freestyles can just be based around an idea rather than your personal self? For example, you could freestyle about being raised in Japan even though you were born in wherever you are?

Or just freestyle as though you love women only.

5. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two words: Frank Ocean

Not exactly freestyle lol, but hip hop nonetheless

6. Sketch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well actually, there are some gay rappers that I've come across on YouTube.

For Instance:

>Cakes Da Killa feat.Dai Burger
    -"Rapid Fire"

>I think you should especially watch this vid by Cakes; In it he is completely unafraid to express his sexuality in the same manner that straight rappers would (not to mention, being as 'camp' as he wants to)Cakes Da killa-"Goodie Goodies"

>Le1f-"Wut"

There's a bit of an underground scene of gay rappers it seems.

7. catboy

Mackelmore (is that how you spell it?) Same Love...need I say more?

8. confusedbuthere

Hip hop was founded on the principles of peace, UNITY, love and having fun, according to founder Afrika Bambataa.

Keyword: UNITY.

There should be a place for everyone in it.

9. Pat

Pat

Lol Frank Ocean isn't a hip hop artist. He's really a genre of his own and he's borrowed from aspects of other genres. Probably pisses him off when he's categorized honestly. The closest affiliation being neo soul, but he's more than that. Anyways, That's what I would encourage you to do..be a genre of your own. I rapped for a long time as well and a part of it is to tell a story. Whether or not the story is true isn't always relevant. If you don't like talking about nonsense, I would encourage you to avoid sex and drugs all together. It's a lot harder to create a style that's still rough enough for hip hop, yet soft enough to be transcendent. It's a lot easier to do as a singer. Frank Ocean talks about whatever he'd like to, but he does it in a way without expressing sex as an interaction with a physical being, but instead being comparable to some spiritual, out of this universe, bond with another person. If you can figure out how to do that in 16 bars, power to you. Just depends on how skilled you are as a lyricist really. I would say a topic like sex isn't really worth the trouble and would encourage you to consider writing poetry to express the side of you that wants to address your sexual desires. Imagery is always the best, but requires a skilled lyricist. If there's a place for us, you have to build it yourself. Following your own blueprint and borrowing from other styles.

10. fluffyhandcuff

Ask Macklemore or Frank Ocean and they'll tell you if they do.