1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out, but feel trapped

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lovethemdudes, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Hi everyone!
    I have been lurking on this site for a while, but just joined last night. I am gay, turning 18 soon, and also heading off to college in less than a month now. I have always known I was gay, but have tried to be "normal" in the past. I finally accepted myself when I was 12 and in 7th grade. I told my mom I am gay in 2009, but she keeps giving me mixed signals. She told me once that she would never disown me for being gay. But she has also repeatedly said that shr thinks I'm just faking to get attention and cause drama. My dad has these same kind of reactions. I am not sure what to do because I want to keep my relationship with my family strong, but at the same time, now that I am going away, I feel like it is my time to be myself and open. I am out to friends only so far. So what should I do? Does anyone have advice for me?

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "I feel like it is my time to be myself and open." - good plan ! And going o college is a perfect opportunity to start making changes

You will love your college years and starting on this basis makes a lot of sense. There is no reason why your relationship with family need suffer if you are simply being yourself at college. Then you will get stronger in yourself .. and your folks will come round I bet

3. Thanks for the reply Bingo! I certainly hope my parents come around.

4. UndercoverGypsy

I'm sure that if they're at least slightly supportive of gay rights and you come home to them with a boyfriend, they won't think you're attention whoring :slight_smile:

5. Thanks for the reply, Gypsy. They are supportive of gay rights and my mom has a few LGBT friends. Problem is, my mom still thinks it is wrong (I know, sounds hypocritical) and won't allow a boyfriend in the house.