1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be out in college??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hatethiscloset, Jul 27, 2013.

1. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm starting college in less than a month now, and I fully intend on being out to everyone there (I am still not out in my hometown though). I guess I should mention that I'm going to the University of Virginia, and I've heard pretty mixed things about discrimination there. I mostly hear that many people are fine with gays, but UVA does have a really high christian population, and I'm sure a lot of them would have an issue with it. But I just wanted advice on exactly how I should go about being out. One thing I don't want to do is blurt it out to everyone as soon as I meet them, thats just weird. I want to be able to casually express that I'm gay, but I also don't want to make it like I'm necessarily coming out to everyone, more like I already am out. For example, what should I say to my hallmates (my roommate already knows)? Should I tell them the first opportunity I get, like for instance when they are all talking about girls or something? Or should I wait until we become good friends, and then come out to them? Any advice on this would definitely be appreciated

2. Rolando4

Definitely join the LGBT support group! That's what I'm planning to do, and you'll meet so many other people that are like you c: Also, you could possibly wear a gay pride bracelet or something? That's what a lot of people on another thread were planning on doing; I might do it too haha. Good luck! I can't wait for college :grin:

3. I'm in a similar situation. I'm out to my friends, but a lot of my family is religious or for other reasons wouldn't be accepting. I'm planning to join the LGBT support group as soon as I'm in college next month. Maybe that will also work for you, you should give it a try! Best wishes!

4. CuriousBunny

You could wear a rainbow bracelet, wait for them to ask, then let them know :grin:

5. blueberrymuffin

UVA is an excellent school. These people won't be neanderthals like you may have encountered in HS. What I've noticed is many of us will have something pride related in our room, or have a guy over. If there's one place you have a right to 'flaunt' it, that would be it.

In general i don't find it's a good idea to wait until you become real close to someone. Then you just get hurt if they react badly. Just slip it in there if it's relevant to the conversation, wear pride gear, do whatever you're comfortable with.

6. You don't have to blurt it out or tell people the moment you meet them, unless that's your style. It would probably flow more smoothly if you can incorporate hints in your conversations or clothing. You can also update your status on social media and when you connect with people, they can see it there.