1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm tired of hiding

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OhSOCurious, Jul 28, 2013.

1. OhSOCurious

:tears: Every year I get pushed around by the obnoxious people in my school. My school is predominantly minorities (how ironic) And I feel like either my race is being targeted or my sexuality.
    I'm one of the smartest in my grade (even though im year behind) and the kids treat my like shit. I have some friends who witness this and help me on the side but it still happens. Earlier last year I had an incident where a few girls wouldn't stop calling me a "faggot" just cause I talk slightly effeminent. I confronted my lesbian math teacher about my sexuality and how the girls treat me and she got the administration involved but they (in secret) are friends with all the obnoxious girls :frowning2: they did a little and it still happens. I'm less worried for next year because I'm taking AP courses but I'm still afraid for what they'll say to me. Should I come out? I feel like there is no use to hide it when I talk girlish and gawk at cute guys. I've rehearsed what to say... If a girl called me "fag" I would just explode and start getting all in their face like "Yea and so what? Your mad just cause I can get more dick than you? I don't going around calling you (censored) just cause your black! So don't call me a fag cause I'm gay, you insensitive bitch." :slight_smile: wow that felt so good to type! But what do you guys think? I'm sorry for this LOOOONG post but I really need help.

2. RainbowMan

I personally think that you should come out. However, this is obviously a quite personal decision that I or anyone else can't really make for you.

The advantages of being out include not having to hide a relationship (if you have one), and potentially not being called "faggot" anymore, which I would think is incredibly hurtful. If people are aware that you're actually gay, then they might be more sensitive to you.

It sounds like you're out to at least a lesbian teacher and the school administration, are they supportive? While you say that the administration is "secretly friends" with the girls that are calling you faggot, how do you know that?

3. OhSOCurious

The girls are always getting in trouble and the teachers write them up but it never shows up on their record. I'm that one student all the teachers like. I eat lunch with them and we all talk. And the administration doesn't know. Only my English teacher and Math teacher.
    My mom keeps telling me to keep it a secret so I won't get hurt, but hiding it is hurting me just as much. Also, I found out she told a few of my aunts and uncles without even asking me which is really insensitive because she tells me not to tell anyone (even my trusted friends) yet she tells who ever she goddamn pleases (even her co-workers! And I didn't know until they told me) without even asking :dry: like really.

4. SecretlyASloth

Words hurt, but here's what I do when I run into the rare occasion.
    I've learned to steel myself and then talk about on this site :slight_smile:.
    I totally get the feeling of a good rant in your mind. It feels so good to let out all the anger at them.
    But honestly, let's just be honest about those girls. I'm going to be blunt and mean by saying that those people are trash. I have that opinion of anyone who takes it as amusement to tease someone else in the slightest.
    You are intelligent, self-motivated, and will end up more successful than them in the coming years. You need to not sink down to their level. If you were to say what you said in your original post, it would only show them that it annoyed you, and they would want to continue most likely. Coming out would most likely just bring unwanted attention to yourself, maybe even from them.
    I think you need to change your perspective and realize that they are automatically placing themselves way below you, the moment they call you names. Pity them. Smile at them and laugh at them.
    Someone once asked me where I was "keeping my dress" and I replied "Don't you remember? I lent it to you for your closet."
    I also had an issue with people taking note of my effeminate voice (which I coincidentally no longer have as much), to which I solved by reprimmanding people for being stereotypical.

If the girls are black they should know just how much stereotypes can suck, and you can just point out the irony and walk away.

Long story short - keep your cool.

5. RainbowMan

Yeah, that does seem like a bit of a pickle. I somewhat understand your mom not wanting you to share because she thinks that you'll get hurt (unlikely to be true, unless you're in an extremely homophobic place), but she's not considering how hiding is hurting you. Perhaps you could try and tell her that?

In the end, it's YOUR life, and not your mom's. Your mom seems to be out of line disclosing your orientation to people that you don't want it disclosed to as well. Have you had a conversation with her about that?

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ignore them. They are just trying to get a rise out of you. They are waiting for you to blow your top.

Just pretend like they don't exist at all. If they ask you a question in class don't answer them. Pretend like they are ghosts or something. :grin:

#6 KyleD, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kill them ... with kindness!!!! Take the advice KyleD gives. I was in another situation like this one and as soon as I ignored it and became the bigger person, it went away.

8. OhSOCurious

No, they don't give a crap about getting me mad. These aren't those type of people. They are literally sociopaths. They don't do it for the laughs, they enjoy doing it. One time when I did blow up in one of their faces and called her a bitch, she got so mad and kept doing it, she didn't laugh it off. This is beyond antagonizing or bullying. They're trying to hurt me intentionally and in a harsh way.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 12:36 AM ----------

In my studies of psychology, not once have I ever seen "Just walk it off." The only reason I have so much tension is because of the years of being pushed around and made fun of. Up until I moved in with my mom, my dad thought I was mentally slow and had me in special education until I ran away. My whole life I was branded a "retard" and socially isolated. What's wrong with me? It seems like where ever I go people just don't like me...

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 12:38 AM ----------

Also, my thread title is that I'm tired of hiding. I'm not really looking for ways to deal with these bullies. Just something to encourage me to come out... There are people in my school who are far more effeminate than me and they don't get picked on.

9. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I were in this situation, I would probably come out. If there like any other decent human being, they'll (hopefully) see that what they said to you in the past ultimately hurt you. And tell them that what may seem like an insult that really doesn't mean anything when they utter those words is actually hurting you and eating away your soul.

The point is be vocal to them about what they're doing is hurting you.

10. 2112

I'm encouraging you! :icon_bigg Do it!

11. SecretlyASloth

ILIKECATS is probably right.
    Same with killing with kindness.

12. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Is your intention in coming out a reaction to those bullies or something you are doing for you?

13. blueberrymuffin

You might gain their respect enough that they stop bullying you, by coming out. Anyone can see that takes courage. I would start with something like "yeah so?" and not be all confrontational, cause that will likely make it worse. Keep your dignity and don't stoop to their level. Your other option is to *try* to ignore them, but having gone thru this myself, that is a little difficult when you are right in class and no one does anything about it.

You are gonna have to find motivation to get thru it. For me, spite worked at first, succeeding in spite of them. In the end i had to transfer schools, which i don't know how practical that is for you, but consider it. Another possibility is to get your mom to threaten the school with a lawsuit, if they aren't going to do anything.

14. OhSOCurious

I'm thinking about saying it on Facebook... And see how quickly it spreads ._.

15. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The thing is, what you focus on the most in life is what you will get out of it. If you continue to focus your attention on those bullies then it's going to get worse. Once you start ignoring them then they will go away. Non resistance is a very powerful thing.

When you really think about it being disliked is not a particularly bad thing. Would you really want to be liked by such mean spirited people?

16. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing with saying it on Facebook is that we're in an age where friends "hack" a friend's page and post a funny huehuehue "I'm gay" status so saying it on Facebook might be taken as a joke. But if you were to word it in a way that is serious and not in a joking manner, that'd probably be the best route to take.

I put "hack" in quotes because a person getting on a page that is left up is not hacking.

17. OhSOCurious

Thank your for the support on my complex situation but I posted this on coming out advice for a reason :frowning2:

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 02:47 AM ----------

I would LOVE to meet the brave soul who would even attempt to hack anything of mine, even my 16GB flash drive is inaccessible, sometimes by me.

And also I could use that as the excuse :slight_smile: incase anything goes wrong

#17 OhSOCurious, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  18. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm, I have no problems regarding my classmates in school because they are gay-friendly and my bestfriend whose a guy is gay-friendly too

My only problem is my neighborhood who talk behind my back and makes gay rumors about me well they are true but I don't give a f*ck it just happens that I'm brave,firm and I got the balls to ignore them. You know what, just ignore them maybe they are jealous of you because you said you are one of the smartest in class in short they're just insecure because they don't have the abilities that you have. Just stay strong bro,i'll be here supporting you :*

19. Corsa

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To ignore is the best policy, if that's all these people have in life to worry about then your in a way better position than them, if you get that rattled about them then simply reply with what they don't expect i.e. "you're getting confused by thinking I give a f**k, have a nice day now" .... then walk away

20. OhSOCurious

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 08:51 AM ----------

Good one xD thanks :slight_smile: