1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would coming out be a bad idea in this case?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Nemo39122

So I have this male friend who was in EMT-Basic class with me last semester. I'd say we've become pretty good friends and even though the class ended a few months ago we still talk and hang out regularly.

It was pretty obvious even before the class ended that he was interested in me. Last night he finally admitted to it, and today asked if he has any chance of us being more than friends, or if I have any interest in him. I kinda jokingly said I'll exercise my 5th amendment rights on that for now, because I'm not sure how to respond.

I really don't think I'm interested in him, mainly because I don't think I'm interested in men. I think I still have my orientation listed as bisexual, but I'm not really sure. I mean, I can think of guys as attractive but not really anything beyond that. Like I really can't see myself in a relationship with one. Buuut that's another issue.

My question is, would it be just a terrible idea to come out to him? (I wouldn't necessarily say I'm gay, I would probably just say something like I would be interested, if you were a girl...lol) A huge part of the reason is because we are pretty good friends...the fact that he's interested in me just makes it seem like a good time to, I guess so he doesn't get his hopes up or anything. Is there any potentially disastrous outcome that I'm just not seeing here?

It's probably important to mention that I really don't think he's a homophobe, and even if it turns out that he isn't the most accepting person I think he's the type to try to be open-minded for a friend, or at least not say anything negative

Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

2. Batman is swag

If I were in this situation, I would tell him, if only to save his feelings. That way he'll understand that it's not because there's something WRONG with him, you're just not into guys. I think what you said about "I would be interested-if you were a girl..." is perfect.

All up to you in the end.
    Best of luck! =)

3. rjrh20

Do what you think is right, although I would say that dating him wouldn't be right. You are going to have to tell him eventually so why not now. Don't do it if you think it will hurt your relationship if you really do care about the relationship.

4. 2112

I think you should tell him.

5. Nemo39122

That's another reason I think it may be best to tell him. The whole "its not you, its me" thing really does apply here :lol:

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I'll keep thinking about telling him, but I think I probably will.