1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get attracted to guys my own age?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bryan90, May 9, 2008.

1. Bryan90

Apparently I am having quite a similar but not quite parallel predicament "SlowEyes" is having. (I know this sentence doesn't make sense)(Note: How to attract guys my own age.

So anyway, I've been dating guys 4/5 years older than I am. It's actually not a big deal as pointed out by one of my exes when it's 20 and 25... But when it's 18 and 23... somehow it makes a bigger difference.

And I get the entire "it's the mental maturity that matters". But sometimes when it hits me that the guy is older than me by 5 years, or when he introduces me to his friends who are all older than I am by 5 years.. or when I am taking my second year courses while he is working.. it just makes me feel weird!

Should I just remain abstinent for another 2-3 years? Or allow this issue to taint my future relationships for the next 2 years?

2. rocking23

The only thing that matters is if you love them.

Age knows no age (nor a gender)

(my parents are 5 yrs apart)

If you like them and have no prob with the age diff (and they dont either) go for it!

3. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's a problem only if you choose to think of it as one.

My parents have an age gap of 10+ years, and they've been married for, uh, 25+ years.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I don't see any problems with 18-23 age-gaps. It is not a big age-gap so just go for it!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it matters all that much, if you have stuff in common and like doing things together. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to being together with someone who is a few years older.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents are 6 years apart. They've been together for aaaages. 5 years isn't that big.

Celine Dion's husband is 26 years older than her. I think that's enough proof that love knows no age.

7. Bryan90

I know.. that's what I keep telling myself.. Age doesn't matter.. age doesn't matter... :icon_sad:

But yeah.. thanks for all the advice!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, he introduces you to his friends who are older than you. That means he not only likes you, but feels comfortable having you as a boyfriend. The only problem is if you feel you completely can't relate to him - not just in one area of his life, but most of them. That doesn't sound like the case, so I think you're on solid ground. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Bryan90

Oh the guy who introduced me to his friends kind of just broke up with me, so nope we're not on solid grounds.

Even though I don't think age was the issue between us, I guess for now, dating any guy who is 5 years older than I would remind me of him.. Which is why I made this thread, miraculously hoping that someone can cast a spell so that the next guy I fall for would be around 18.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best bet - go where the 18-year-olds are. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. Quitex

Quitex Guest

My parents are 40-years olds appart, now THAT is a gap.
    5 years ain't a big deal.

12. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ask yourself why you fall in love with older guys. Do you like an older stronger person take care of you? Do you find them sexier? Are guys your age too childish for you?

Maybe, you feel that older guys have some things guys your age don't have.

13. s5m1

If the two of you are happy together, I do not see the problem. I sounds like you are concerned about what others may think, rather than what is right for you. For some reason, you are attracted to older men, and there is nothing wrong with that. I am unclear, though, about how the age difference has anything to do with abstinence.

14. Bryan90

Apparently 18 and 23 posses a huge difference but 20 and 25 is alright... Somehow..

I actually don't know.. I think it's the maturity I guess.. But it's too much of a generalizing statement to say that all 18 year olds are not as mature. But I do enjoy having someone I can be dependent on and can take care of me as well (vice versa). But that has nothing to do with age I suppose.. So yeah.. it's still quite a mystery to me..