1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how this is going to work...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by boarder25, Feb 5, 2007.

1. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok here's my situation. I'm gay and currently not out to anyone I know in person. There's a few people who I've known for over a year via online gaming and we talk with a headset nearly every day and consider each other basically our second group of friends. Haha, sounds wierd I know but it's not. It feels like we all basically know each other in person because of the voice + video communications and talking/gaming with each other usually every night. I recently came out to them and they took it really well. That was a big step for me as they're really the first people I've ever told. So it feels good right now to just be out to those friends but still not out to my friends from real life or my family. I've basically been planning on coming out after I'm off to college in case if the folks don't take it too well. Mmkay, enough of my life story and on to what I need help with.

I met a guy online (video games again) a few months back. Not sure what posessed me but after playing games together for like an hour I just straight up told him I was gay. Turns out (lucky me! :lol:slight_smile: that he was gay too. So we've basically had a thing going now for a while. It's not really like a typical internet relationship as we only talk with headsets and video chat together a lot, not instant messaging. We both feel like we know each other really well now and there's no wierdness about feeling like you don't really know who the other person you're talking to is. A few weeks ago he found out that he is moving to the state I live in, and since his family had a lot of flexibility he was able to convince his parents to move to a town about 30 minutes away from me. So that's all good news and it sounds like we're gonna be able to be together a lot once he moves here. The problem is, I started thinking about it and there's basically no way I can carry on a relationship with him without coming out to my family and friends. When I suddenly start driving over 30 minutes to visit some "internet friend", my mom will obviously have suspicions. I don't even spend the effort to go over to my best friends house who lives 5 minutes away. :lol: I'm afraid the only way to do this is to come out. I don't think I'm ready to come out to my parents yet and especially not in this way.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here. Just wondering if there's anyone else who has been in a similar situation or if anyone has any suggestions on what to do. Sorry for my whole life story but I just felt like I kinda needed to include some background info. :icon_wink

Thanks!

2. david nelson

david nelson Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    HEY BORDER25....I'm new here and don't want to bust into where I'm not wanted or needed, but........I'm only two years older than you, but have been gay sice I was nine, and active since then. I finally told my parents when I was about eleven. They took it well, as I think they have and idea I was because of my relationship with the hired hands on the ranch where I spent about two years. It was my uncles' ranch and and he and my dad talked on the phone at least once a week. As for my mother and aunt, about every other day, and God only knows what they talked about.
    For me it wasn't hard to do, since I had been so active and had nothing to fear, knowing they wouldn't throw me out of the house at my age. Even my older brother said "way to go". I know he knew as he visited the ranch a couple of time and caught me in compromising positions with the hands a couple of times. To this day I jont know if he wanted to join in or not.
    Any how, it's best to come right out with it and let the marbles fall where they will. You'd be surprised that our parents know and don't know and how
    understanding they are.
    Wish you the best of luck.
    David (*hug*) (*hug*)

3. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey David. Thanks for the advice. I have been seriously thinking about telling my mom. I think she'll be ok with it. I think she is suspicious because she asks me about if I've met any girls lately and tells me "ooh ooh girls will like that" or "you should do this to impress the girls!". The real problem lies with my dad and his side of the family. I had a cousin come out about a year ago, and he has been literally kicked out of the family. All pictures of him were removed from his house and my grandfathers house. He is never spoken of anymore and instead of referring to all 12 grandchildren, my grandfather just speak of "all 11 of us". That's why I want to wait until college so I can be very far away when the poo hits the fan on my dads side. But maybe you're right. Perhaps I should just come out and say it so I don't have to keep hiding stuff. I never really liked my dad anyway. :lol:

Thanks. (*hug*)