1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly homophobic friend keeps asking if I'm gay...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Batman is swag, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Batman is swag

Hey,

So my best guy friend (we'll call him S) and I were hanging at the beach today, and the discussion turned to Eminem (big surprise =P). S was saying how ridiculously attractive Hailie Jade (Em's daughter) is. I said something like, "Yeah I'm not denying that. She is HOT." And he got this weird look on his face, but didn't say anything.

And later, we were talking about politics (we're weird I know). He was saying how the new legalization of same-sex marriage in NY isn't something he really agrees with. During this conversation, he basically said that he doesn't really like gay people, but they can do their thing as long as it's not in front of him. Then he asked if I was gay. Since I had just learned that he's kind of homophobic, I said no.

Later on, he asked two or three more times. I was just like "Haha no" every time.

This is really eating me up. I don't want to lie to him, but at the same time, I don't want anything to come between our friendship. To make things triple awkward, I'm also friends with his little sister J. AND our mothers are BFFs.

So I feel like if I told him, he'd tell his mom, and it would get around. His mom is pretty supportive, but S and J are both sort of anti-gay.

Please Advise!! :help:

2. enigmeow

either decide you are going to "fix" him into liking gay people or dump him...

Out yourself to him and just let him deal with it. Don't let him drag you down

3. Pat

Pat

Hmm.. I usually combat that by taking the opposite stance. And I say, "well, I do believe people should have equal rights" And it has gotten to the point before where someone has said, are you gay? And I'm like, "yeah, gotta problem with it?" lol. That may not be the best advice.. but a scenario. I would say.. a good defense, is a better offense. When he asks you if you're gay just say.. "You sure ask a lot. Are you gay?" "What if I was? Would that change something for you?" Those are two suggestions that are almost certain to make him back down a little out of weirdness. He sounds pretty immature really.. It is one of the more difficult situations when you're not ready to come out. The only other option would be to start limiting your association with him.

4. Batman is swag

Thanks. He is too good a friend to dump, especially since I'm friends with his little sister and our moms are best friends.

He is really sweet, but doesn't quite understand gay people I think. I just need some advice and time to think....

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 09:53 PM ----------

Thank you! He is actually straight as straight can be... He can be a bit immature, but sweet and sensitive, always a good friend. His political views are just very different. Thanks so much for the advice! =) I really do appreciate it

5. Pat

Pat

My bro says a lot of dumb shit without thinking. Things he's just not too informed about, he still thinks it's okay for him to form an opinion about. So one thing I did with him before coming out was to combat his arguments and make him look insensitive. It'll work with this guy. Just tell him you don't like how he talks about it and that you believe that there should be equal rights.. basically, put the foot in his mouth for now. Another thing.. YOU'RE too good of a friend to dump. Remember that. We can't let other people have us compromising who we are. Think about yourself first in this matter and be true to who you are. True friends will stick with you no matter what and the rest can kick rocks. Flip that word association to favor yourself.

6. Batman is swag

That is all very true. Thank you. I'm seeing him again tomorrow. I will do this. Thanks =)

7. Well, I think you have the potential to change his mind about the LGBT community. If it is eating you up, tell him the truth. If he does not want to be friends with you anymore because of that, it is his loss and he really was not that great of a friend. If he needs time to accept it and comes around, that is great! Good luck with whatever you do.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say tell him. He has to choose either friendship or hate, and if he chooses wrong, you're better off without him. There would be some hope for a change of heart, though, so if he does avoid you for awhile, you probably shouldn't write him off forever.

9. UndercoverGypsy

Haha, I've been there (he's not a close friend, though, but he's relatively anti-gay and I wouldn't want him to find out and spread it). My most common response is simply that I support gay rights, but then again I've never called a guy hot (or a girl in your case) in public, so that might not work out. Maybe refrain from making comments about women in that way in front of him and instead use words like beautiful or pretty or some other word that doesn't sound sexual?

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 07:27 PM ----------

Yeah, this too.

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think you should tell him. You might change his mind about gay people. :slight_smile:

11. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, BREATHE!!

If he asked "Are you gay?" I would reply why do you ask? Wait for his reply. I might also say would it make any difference if I was? At this point, if he say NO, then you can come out and say good, I am gay. You may also ask if he is gay?

Do not make the errors that I have. Do not try to please all people. You can not. I will be 54 on Saturday. I have suppressed my sexuality for decades. I am lonely due to my insecurity of my sexuality. Do you have any friends that are LGBT? Try to find someone that you can discuss this in confidence. You will be okay. This transition is difficulty for all of us.

12. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I would just tell him and if he does not want to be friends with you anymore then you will know he wasn't a real friend in the first place.

13. Batman is swag

Haha yes. It just kind of slips out, and then I sit there thinking "Ohhhhhhhh damn shouldn't have said that....".

Any I (sadly) don't have any friends who are LGBT. I wish I did though. It would give me someone to talk to about this kind of thing.

I'm seeing him today. If he asks again, I'm doing this. Or at least the 'Why do you ask?" bit. I'll probably chicken on totally coming out. If I don't chicken, then it will be my first time coming out NOT in a text or email.

THanks so much for all the encouragement and advice guys! (*hug*)

14. lukeluvznicki13

He's probably ignorant and that can be understandable.