1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dressing more masculine

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, May 10, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I have always dressed faily feminine/neutral. And I'm OK with that, sort of. But I would really like to have some more masculine clothes. I really like guys' shirts and trousers and I would so like to dress like that.

I don't know how to ask my Mum to take me shopping for more masculine clothes. I can't go shopping by myself, so I really have to ask her. She does know some places, because she used to take my older brother shopping and he would get all that kind of guy gear.

But I'm very afraid to ask her if I could have something like that. How should I go about suggesting it?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you shouldn't bother giving it a "masculine/negative" spin. Just ask if you can go shopping for some new clothes. Pick something of your brother's that you liked, and frame it with that. "I really liked that red collared shirt that Fred used to wear. Do you know where he got that? I'd like to see what they have there."

Lex

3. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Genius. :eusa_clap

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow... I've never thought that up as a nerve-wracking situation but yeah, I can see how that would suck.

Great suggestions so far.

Perhaps this is also a good time to ask your mum if you can go clothes shopping on your own. I mean you're growing up... just ask her for a budget and show her how responsible you can be.

Make sure to couch it in terms of, "I'm going to have to be able to do this myself at some point" so she doesn't think it's that you don't like her taste, though.