1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really have no idea what to think. [Family problem]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 10, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

I was at my aunt's house today, it was a family gathering, about 13 people, to liek celebrate mother's day and stuff.

so i was in the kitchen helping my aunt chop veggies, and then my uncle [her hubby] walks in and she goes, "So she's a lesbian this week," referring to me, and honestly, my face went WHITE. I never told her i was gay, hell she didnt even know i was bi.

I dont think my mom told her, i know my mom better than that. but anyway, when i tried to explain to my aunt that ive always been this way i just was in denial up till recetly, she just was like, "mhm, suuuure." obv she thinks its a phase, so im not gonna waste my breath trying to force her to realise that yes, she has a dyke for a niece.

I just wanna know if there is anything you think i should do, or tell her.. or something :/ i feel really confused, and very violated, i think the word is, mostly cause of her random outing me to my uncle.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to argue someone who holds views like that. The only thing that will prove her wrong is your continued lesbian...ism? lesbian...ing? Whatever. :slight_smile: If anyone ever says "So you're a lesbian this week" again, just smile and say, "Yep. Last week, too. And things are looking pretty good for next week, as well." And leave it at that.

How should you feel about her knowing, and about her outing you? A bit upset, I guess. But you wanted them to know eventually anyway, right? Two more people you won't have to bother with. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. smilealways

smilealways Guest

At least you told her and it sounds like that she isnt bothered about it that much.

If she keeps saying the wrong stuff, then I think you should have a proper talk with her.

4. MusicIsLife

Thats a really good comeback :] thanks, i'll remember it. & i wasnt entirely sure if i wanted to come out to extended family, but as long as im not being cast out of the family so to speak, im not too worried.

5. Helen

Helen Guest

Personally, I think you've said and done your bit. She can go on thinking it's a phase, and she will undoubtedly realise that it's not, eventually. In the meantime, as she thinks it's a phase, she'll probably humour you, and not make a fuss. And judging by what you said about your mum, your immediate family are alright with it, so it won't matter if one person in your extended family isn't, hopefully.

6. Sam

Sam

Let her think what she wants to think, don't try to waste your time or breath trying to convince her that it isn't a phase. Soon enough she will realize it's not a phase. Since she seems like she doesn't care just leave it alone. When you get a girlfriend then you can introduce her to your aunt.

7. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Ok, you are just too good. :astonished:
    That is plain awesomeness.

8. Rahata

LOL now that's a good way to say it. Its not rude and its getting the point that your not going to change. Good luck and i'm sure everything will turn out fine, everyone is pretty jugdemental at the beginning

9. Grof142007

I have to agree with the other what lex(oops almost put s instead of L) said is lol

10. Peridot

Brilliant! :eusa_clap