1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yahooooo, May 11, 2008.

1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Bascially looming exams, a very unsupportive friend and confusion about sexuality blah blah have left me feeling a little bit stressed lately.

Although EC is amazing and so helpful, the fact I am unable to talk to any one in "real life" is really getting to me and it's like I have so much bottled up I don't really know how much longer I can put up with it.

I tried so hard to talk to the one friend I'm out to.. but she reacted so badly (I don't know if she realises how much her reaction upsets me, or doens't care) but I was practically begging for her to talk about it (as she has been acting really strangely around me an been in denial..) in tears over msn, but apparently she "can't deal with it?" and I should find someone who knows more??

After she said all this I started thinking but still have no real idea about who I am supposed to talk?? It's not as if I can go into school and ask for the residant coming out support worker or something .. it just doesn't exist!

So all I came up with was one teacher who I get on really well with and think would be ok with it... I'm just scared if I tell her she'll tell someone and it will get out and I'm not ready for all that yet. So what do you think? Is it safe to talk to your teacher and how do you go about it?

Sorrry I am just so bad at talking to people about emotions face to face the idea really scares me. I really though my friend would understand but it hasn't worked out as I planned.

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I told my form tutor and he was really good about it. I think you can get a promise of confidentiality from them. You can definately get a promise of confidentiality from a school nurse - they're not allowed to tell people.

When I told my teacher, I just found him in his office one lunchtime and said "I want to talk to you." We sat down and I pre-ambled a bit, saying how I was nervous etc, and he promised confidentiality, and then I just said "I think I'm gay". It was pretty easy because he's a great guy. Besides, they're just there to support you and if they're fairly young/liberal they won't have problems with it. If you do talk with a nurse you can also be sure it's secret. My school nurse even had some leaflets on coming out and stuff which were useful.

Oh and, I'm really sorry about your friend. Some people always take it better than others. If there's nobody close in friends or family you trust, I would definately advise telling a liberal teacher or school nurse.

Good luck (*hug*)

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your teacher might be a good bet. It might be better to talk to your school's counselor. I think every school has one, and that's in fact what they're there for. Not only that, but they tend to have more resources and ideas as to what you might do. Definitely look into that.

Lex

4. paint

If you were to go to a teacher, you should let them know that this an issue that is interconnected to all aspects of your life; and it's your business.
    Whenever I need a complete break from everything, I just leave the house and go running. Or you could go see a movie or something. I'm sorry if this isn't good advice, but I hope everything works out.

I like Lexington's advice on the counselor: they should be confidential. :thumbsup:

5. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Thank you all so much!!
    I'm going to try talking to her tommorow so we will see how it all goes!
    And yer I just started running again funnily enough. I had forgotten how much i enjoy it!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,
    As Lex mentioned, I think talking to a counselor might be indeed better (and especially if you have doubts as to whether the teacher will say something). Speaking with a counselor, your confidentially will be guaranteed. Good Luck!

7. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

We don't have a counciller at our school, but I've asked to talk to my teacher first lesson tommorrow so hopefully it all goes ok! I think she will be okay though.

8. BookWorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ok, i would totally go to a trusted teacher, and if you're not up for others knowing yet, ask them to keep it to themselves for now, i did and my teacher has been great about it. say it's really important to you for others not to know and if they would listen.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

A teacher shouldn't divulge personal information like that unless they believe you're in danger, which you are not. Therefore I think you are safe on that count - but I would make it clear to them that you want it kept confidential.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down, and about your friend's reaction. It can be really hard when you have no one to talk to in real life about these things - that is one of the bonuses of being out.

I'll PM you my MSN so you can talk to me in real time if you want. Although unfortunately I'm not on there too often at the moment because I'm busy but just in case you want to talk in a more conversational way :slight_smile: