1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a couple more friends, wondering how to come out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by person57, Aug 3, 2013.

1. person57

So I just came out to a couple more close friends and they were very accepting and supportive and I'm really happy about this :slight_smile: Being a member on EC really boosted up my confidence and made me proud of my sexuality, I'm less scared to come out to some people, I'm a little less scared to come out to parents, but I'm very nervous. I'm thinking of dropping hints about my sexuality but I don't know what kind of hints I should drop. I'm also considering waiting for college to come out but idk, sometimes I just want to get it over with.

2. enigmeow

If you don't think they will throw you out, do it now

That way you can work through issues with them in less then 4 years

3. person57

But I'm scared, I don't know what to tell them

4. person57

Idk if I can do this

5. AlexTheBlogger

Don't be scared! We are here to support you!

First of all: are your parents homophobic?
    If you don't know, try to tell them about a recent new involving a LGBTQ* person and see how they react over the sexuality (or even the gender identity) of this person to have an idea of how open minded they are.

If they are homophobic, don't tell them now. You aren't even 18, you can even be thrown out of your house! It's better to not take the risk in this case.

If they aren't homophobic, go for it. Just tell them how you feel or write a letter. It's difficult, but you can do it!

And remember: if things get difficult, they will get better.
    Good luck!

6. person57

They aren't homophobic. I know that they support LGBTQ. But I just can't do it. I'm too afraid.

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2013 at 10:12 PM ----------

I would come out to them, but I can't. Read my blog and you will understand.

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

Oh, and ignore the part where it says my dad doesn't like gays, bi's, and lesbians. I thought he didn't like them. But I'm starting to think that I was wrong, but I'm still not 100% sure if he's really supportive.

7. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's never going to be a good time to do it. It will always be hard and scary, but the sooner you do it, the sooner it will be over and you can get on with your life. I just wish I'd have realised this sooner rather than wasting 5 years pretending to be someone that I wasn't. You mentioned that your parents support the LGBTQ and they will therefore be supportive of you! They're you're parents after all. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, don't rush it though. You still have plenty of time yet! Good luck :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

8. person57

But I don't know what or how to tell them. Im really scared and nervous too and I don't know why. I think its because they might tell my older brother who is homophobic and my little brother isn't mature yet.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! The reason of being scared, should give you some pause, and think about as to whether you are ready for them to know.

The good thing is, you already know that your parents are supportive of LGBT. Use that knowledge to increase you confidence in coming out to them. Tell yourself that it is going to be fine.

You can always ask your parents not to tell your brothers for now, and that you would like to be the one to tell them. At the same time, your parents could also have a positive influence on your older brother, and he might actually change his tune or view points.

You can 'get ready' to come out to your parents by trying to think about how you would like to come out to them, and perhaps by writing down some of your thoughts, or what you would like to say to them. There is no need to rush though. Coming out isn't about a race that needs to be won. It's about whether you feel ready or not. If you don't feel ready, that's totally fine. :slight_smile:

10. person57

I really would come out, but I can't because I don't know what to explain to them about me lying to them before., I don't want them to know that I lied to them. (If you don't know the lie I am talking about, read my blog)