1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JakeHas, Aug 3, 2013.

1. JakeHas

Hello guys and gals and everyone of the internet world! (Just came up with that, like it? :grin:)
    But in all seriousness I'm running into an issue. I've told a few of my friends that I'm gay, and told my sister and mom and someone that has an important role in my life that I am bi a while ago. Now, coming out isn't the problem, it's just my feeling towards it all that is stopping me. I told my sister I was bi a while ago, and she was supporting, then I told someone close to me, and he said some stuff that god didn't intend it, and I would find my way eventually, and then my mom said that I wouldn't truly know that until I'm in my twenties or something, and that I should just ignored it.
    So I did, I ignored it for a good year or so, but it just recently came back to me, and there is no change. I want to be able to feel confident about telling people, but the comment that god didn't intend it (I'm a follower of god, I try to stick with him) is a big part that holds me back. As well as my mom saying to wait, I feel like she will get mad for whatever reason at me.
    I'm not sure what to do with all of these mixed messages from 3 of the most important people in my life right now that I trust the most. I know who I am, but I don't want to be looked down at by them if I don't show change...

2. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back in 1981 when I was 12 years old I told my Mother for the first time I was gay, I got told 'it's just a phase, you will grow out of it. So what would you like for dinner?'

32 years later, not a thing has changed, still gay...wasn't a phase.

Mate, you have done everything that you can do, you have been open and honest with your feelings with the people you love....but no matter how hard you try, you can't make them accept that you are telling the truth, that is something they have to come to terms with and that will take time.

Just keep being the best YOU that you can be and the people around you will come to understand and you will be good as gold in no time :wink:

3. AlexTheBlogger

Hello, Jake! How are you?

I'm actually agnostic, but if God exists, I think he loves everyone, including LGBTQ* people.
    You don't need to listen to these people. If you are sure you are gay or bi, then you are.

Most people think you need to be [insert age here] to know your sexual orientation, but that's a myth. A lot of people know they are gay since an early age, while some just discover it when they are very old.

Don't worry. Just be yourself and tell your sexual orientation to people you trust and love (but only if you want). Only you know what's the best for you.

It gets better :slight_smile:

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    God didn't intend it? We're all made in His image so ... where am I going with this? Oh yeah, if God didn't intend it, He wouldn't of made us to be gay. Also, we're put on this earth to love and accept each other so ... what if He put us here on Earth as a test to see if all human beings can love and accept each other?

5. JakeHas

I appreciate it guys. Honestly I've always thought personally that god (if you guys believe in him or not, I know some don't) loves all his children, us, no matter how we live our life (unless of course you're some cereal killer... That's not very good). It's just the people who tell me this have such a strong influence on me, I trust them a lot! I'll probably just keep on living life, if the situation arises when I need to tell someone, I will then.
    Thanks!

6. frustratedangst

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jake. I admire you since you were able to tell your Mom that you're gay. As for me, I always tell my family that I'm bi but it always comes as a joke to them so I just leave it as it is. There's also the fact that most of the time, whenever the topic comes up, they always tell me that being a bi won't do me any good, that it's against God's will. Anyway, I understand their stand and since I still haven't come to a point where I need to take my ground, I'll let them believe what they want to believe. ^^

7. swimmertriangle

I understand your pain, as I was asked if I was "sure" when I just recently came out. I'm a religious person too, but I was able to come to realize that God made me who I am for a reason, and he loves me just as much as he loves straight people.
    Don't get put down by the negative views of society and religion on gay people because there are plenty of good gay people out there.
    Before you come back out of the closet, maybe you should wait a while so it doesn't cause too many problems? That's what my plan is, especially with my parents and other sister.