1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Less awkwardness?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Peridot, May 12, 2008.

1. Peridot

Ok, so I've been coming out to a few more people recently and it's been going well. At least none have completely resented me or anything.

One incy problem though....

Awkwardness.

Like, I don't really feel awkward saying it to my friends. It's just everytime I'm about to I get nervous and stuff. When I finally do come out with it, most replies are the usual "Oh". Followed by awkward silence.

My primary question to this is:

How do you make conversations like these less awkward,whether it for yourself or the person you're telling?

2. davo-man

Have a woopee cushion on hand...that way if it slides in awkward silence, just push on the woopee cushion and awkwardness be gone. I envisage it going something like:

Me: Oh and btw I'm gay
    Them: Oh
    *Awkward silence*
    "BBBBBAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWMMMMMPPPPPHHHH*
    Them: ....What the hell have you been eating?

Actually, that might make it more awkward, but at least it makes for interesting story afterwards

On a serious note, you could follow it up with "Now, I don't want it to change anything between us, so if you need some time to think about it, or if you wanna talk about it...or if you wanna go out and get some pizza, I'm up for all that." That way, it gives them an out (going for a think), a chance for them to ask all the questions breeders usually ask, or a chance to just get on with life

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't end it there. Explain WHY you're telling them. "I thought it was important for you to know, because you're such a big part of my life. I'm sorry I haven't told you before, but it's taken me quite a bit of time to make sure, and to work up the nerve to tell you."

Lex

4. OneHatMadder

What happens of they get annoyed like my mum did:

"Why didn't you tell me FIRST?!?!?!"?

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Lex gave good advice. Also, laugh, giggle, whatever, to lighten the mood and not make it feel like you're giving a public service announcement. Ask them if they're OK with it and if they have any questions. If they do, answer patiently, if they don't, hug them and thank them for being such a good friend. Then move on :slight_smile:

6. Tim

Tim

Well, for when I did tell people one at a time, to get rid of the awkwardness, I would divert the conversation to something else we were talking about XD, But I only had to do that twice, but that was because I came out to them on accident lol.

Laughing is always a good choice, at least from what I've heard from friends :S

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>"Why didn't you tell me FIRST?!?!?!"?

"Because if my friends rejected me, I could always find new friends. If you rejected me, where would I get a new mother?"

Lex