1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do with a homophobic family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShionSkaii, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ShionSkaii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So... I'm engaged and it's to someone the same sex... meanwhile pretty much EVERYONE in my family is homophobic. It's me, my dad, my meme(grandma), and my uncles. I don't know what to do... :/ should i tell them? should i just not? I know if i tell them ill be in huge trouble and since my meme is the worst of them all and owns the house in which i live... I'm afraid of what they will do. added on i have horrible anxiety issues. and to throw into this dissaster soup, they are already mean to me enough, i dont need them treating me any worse.. so should i just not tell them? im moving away to be with my fiance anyways... is ignorance truly bliss?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Yes, as you are still in a dependent situation, it would be best to wait a while until you are independent before telling them.

Once your are independent, it will be important that you do tell them soon thereafter, and not let them find out by other means which you aren't in control of.

3. FloatingPiano

Hello :grin:

I agree with greatwhale, I think you should wait until you are independent and are not under their control. Then tell them when you are out of there.

Congrats on the engagement, by the way!

4. Gage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm in a pretty similar situation, It's sucky.

Like FloatingPiano, I'm also agreeing with greatwhale, I feel like waiting until you're on your own is probably the best way to go. That way if they react poorly, they can't do anything.

5. Shipper

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds pretty unanimous that waiting it the best choice. Id say maybe even wait a few years; especially in an unfortunate situation that the engagement doesnt go through.

But grats anyways!! Soo jelly xD

6. First of all, welcome and congratulations on the engagement!
    OK, I agree with everyone above. Wait until you are living with your fiance and are independent. Then, tell them. That way they will not be trying to kick you out of the house if things get really bad. Good luck!

7. Shipper

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But really--dont tell them IMMEDIATELY after moving out. Wait for as long as you can, to make sure that your independence is stable enough. I really wish you the best of luck :slight_smile:

8. ShionSkaii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you everyone! it seems like a unanimous decision that waiting would be smart so again thank you ^^

9. Lynx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree on the advice others gave, if you are dependent on them and you know they will react badly, it might be best to wait.
    Also I just wanted to add, I might not be in the same situation as you are, but my boyfriend is so I have some idea how it is so if you'd like to talk, please feel free to pm me. :slight_smile: