1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SettingHerFree, Aug 6, 2013.

1. SettingHerFree

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, so I've managed to put off coming out to most of my family up to this point. My aunt and cousin are the only ones who know that I was "doubting" that I was straight. And of course, most of my close friends knew. Now, I leave for college in two weeks and I'm facing another challenge: do I come out fully on campus? I know from talking to some of my friends that don't know I'm a lesbian that their biggest fear is being roomed with a girl who wants to sleep with them. Is it a good idea just to be up front from the beginning or should I wait until they know me better? My roommate is an international student from Vietnam, and will only be here the first semester. Also, I will be going to Marshall University in Huntington, WV. I know that location matters. Please help me guys, I'm really starting to panic over this the closer it gets! :bang:

2. rjrh20

I am no where near college nor have I come out, but I would say if you want to tell your roommate see what she thinks of same sex marriage first and if she excepts than come out if not just wait the semester through.

3. Lunarchy

Well, my advice is not to say anything. Don't let you're sexual orientation define you, it's part of who you are, but it doesn't have to be everything you are. Let them figure it out on their own, or wait until you get to know them a little better ^)^ That's sort of how I deal with my homosexuality, I don't hide it, but I don't normally come out right off the bat either. That's just my personal preference though, I just don't want people to judge me as a lesbian before they know me as a person. ^)^ If you feel she should know, then tell her!

4. The Dude

Staying in the closet in college was pretty terrible. I'm an incoming sophomore and my freshman year was depressing and I was alone...I will be coming out in a few weeks when I move back to campus.

However, I know nothing about the college you go to, but if you can come out and there is a group of LGBT people that you can meet up with and become friends with, then I'd suggest coming out. I go to a college in a liberal area so I am looking forward to the experience.

Also, if your roommate has any problems with it, she leaves in December, so I wouldn't get too hung up on her opinion of you.

Did a quick google search and here are two links:
    Marshall University - Lambda Society
    Gay Friendly Colleges and Universities in West Virginia - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com