1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by maracont, Aug 7, 2013.

1. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    I'm 13, going into 8th grade, confident about my sexuality, and want to be open about bisexual. I live in Texas. I'm a theatre guy, and I have a bitchin my little pony hoodie I wear every day. I don't talk much either.

1. I'm generally caught off guard with how eager and open I feel about my sexuality, with my friends and family, at my age. A lot of people don't even realize their sexuality at my age! That's why I'm scared a bit I think.

2. If I were to come out as bi, in a Texas suburban middle school (8th grade reminder) what am I to expect?

Anyway, if I do, I'm just gonna be open starting this year, and it'll get around whenever it comes up. So yeah. :lol:

2. ron IL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    in my school there was a kid who was in the 7th grade who came out as gay today he is going to the 9th grade (he is one year younger then me) and the truth is no one is judging him of curse they didn't know how in such a young age he know but after a while they got use to the idea and he is one of the proudest gay people I know ^_^ so don't woory everything will be fine :slight_smile:

3. FloatingPiano

Hello there! First, I am very pleased to see someone of your age be so open and accepting of yourself. :slight_smile:

And I don't think age should really have anything to do with coming out. Age to me is really just a number. If you feel like you are ready, then why not? :slight_smile: Yes, your age will probably catch a lot of people of guard, but I feel like most people will move on from it eventually. And the people that do have a problem with it you can just not acknowledge.

I've have never lived in the southern region of the US, so I'm going to make a generalization here, haha. The south does seem to be less accepting of gay people it seems, but I don't think that should stop you. I would come out if you are ready. Your courage of coming out at not only a younger age but just coming out in general might inspire people at your school. :slight_smile: Remember, people are scared of what they don't understand, so you can use this as an opportunity to educate people in your age group that you are really no different that everyone else.

Good luck!

4. JamesDE

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Its really inspiring to see someone so willing to come out. I mean, it's pretty daunting when you think about having to tell everyone and then confirming it when word spreads. I think the way of being honest when asked is probably the best way to go and the way I'm going to do it. If people ask me if I'm gay I obviously say no but no one has ever asked if I'm bi so I don't know if I would be honest about it.

When you come out you are probably going to face a lot of prejudice, ignorance and hate but if you keep your chin up people will eventually accept you for who you are. I can tell by the fact that you wear an MLP hoody around that you don't care what people think about you and that's a really great trait to have.

It's never too early to come out, one of my friends simply grew up gay, no one doubted that he was gay so he didn't feel the need to come out.

If you do come out I wish you good luck and I hope that everything turns out well for you.

5. igoloo2946

I live in texas too, and I wanted to do the same thing last year (8th grade). Every school is different but in my school I firgured since nobody really relizes their sexuality so soon, I would be the only gay kid out of maybe 1 other kid. It would be easier to what till high school, were you won't be the only bisexual person. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but if you don't want to wait till high school just relize that not everyone will understand.

6. blueberrymuffin

Texas is a huge and diverse state, so that isn't much to go on. I'm making an educated guess that some of them already suspect it. If they aren't treating you badly, then there's a good chance they'll accept it. If you're comfortable coming out, then i say go for it!