1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you read my story it would mean the world to me. I'm in a juxtaposed place in life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by redrunnerco, Aug 7, 2013.

1. redrunnerco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm not sure where to even begin...but I need to get a lot of stuff off of my chest. Should I start with the past or the present?

I'm going to start from the beginning, I need to get some things "out there" that I've never told anyone. It's time, I can't keep it to myself any longer. To give you a brief background, I'm a young twenty something male who is out of undergraduate, working full time as a software developer and enrolled in a masters program...I wonder why I'm stressed ALL THE TIME??

When I was younger, there was a boy, I can't really remember how much older than me he was or even how old I was--it seems my brain has expunged a lot of what happened.

Anyway, this boy happened to be my neighbor and apparently was very influential. Like I said, the granular details have been subconsciously erased although being molested never leaves my mind. Or at least I haven't found a way to get the reminders out.

He called it "Champagne bottle", this is the time when he forced/had me participate in sexual activities with him. I was in the 6-9 years old range when this all happened. In short, the neighbor boy got caught by one of the other two childrens parents. Besides me, the neighbor boy put his moves on two other (younger than him) kids on my street. The girl was swayed into full on intercourse at age 8 and who knows what happened to the other boy.

For me, I feel I was robbed of the sexual exploration process that comes later in life. I NEVER have told any person about what happened to me. The other parents took the neighbor boy to court, he was charged and the family moved away. My parents asked me if he had every done/tried anything to me; I lied; never.

I feel shameful, guilty and awkward talking about anything sexual with my family.

I have put up the great wall of china and can't seem to let anyone in, well until recently. As cliché as it sounds I met what I hope to be the love of my life two months ago at a bar. I never go out and never convey that I feel gay to anyone really.

I think I was kinda on the fence, you know the feeling when you want to grasp onto life as a "normal", accepted, straight individual. A box on the hillside with a dog and two and a half kids.

Meeting this man has made me realize this is what I want; screw the social stigmas. My boyfriend is completely out, to almost all of his peers and family. I'm the opposite. It's not that I don't want to tell my family... I just don't feel I'm ready quite yet...is that ok?

My BF seems to be ok with that, but I feel selfish. I want to show him off, us off to the world. I can't even express in words my feelings for him.

It seems like my life has done a 180 in the past three months; coming to terms with my sexuality, meeting a wonderful lover/soul mate, my job has asked me to relocate 1200 miles from where I (we) live currently; THERE'S TO MUCH GOING ON FOR ME TO HANDLE.

Being in a relationship with a man, brings up memories of my childhood incident. I want so badly to forget about it. Am I going to have to tell someone??/

The past two years, I've been on a medication roller coaster. From ADD meds to dangerous anxiety meds, been there done with that. I also smoked the herb almost everyday in college, four years of my life. For me, it drowned out my feelings, I didn't have to think about the things I didn't want to.

I finally have clarity in my life and currently medication free for the past five months. My family says they can tell "I'm happier" than I have been for a long time--medication I guess?

Don't you love social media? Well I'm pretty sure that's how I came out accidentally and unadmittedly to some people, thus catalyzing my coming out strategy.

I'm not sure what I would even like to hear in a reply from someone out there who might care, but know if you make it this far in reading my post, I sincerely appreciate it and it means the world to me to get this off my chest. I'm sick of hiding, being the only one in the world to know my "full story". I just want to get back to an equilibrium.

In summation, I guess these issues I'm still struggling with are;

-Moving on from the past, I know he's living a "normal" life now...how is that fair? He has taken so much from me...I guess I let him.

-How to ensure talking about these things with my boyfriend won't scare him away. We have already talked about most of this stuff...except my childhood. He admitted to having some recent issues of depression and ADD episodes as well....so we can be honest with each other.

-Alright, what's the strategy for coming out to the family? They're 1200 miles away. Sincere friends who I wish to keep? Will they accept my life choices?

-What to do about the job? He's here and I can't ask him to move to an unknown place where he has no guaranteed employment. The offer was good, but not good enough to leave my entire life behind. I want to go back to school for my masters (I have the money to quit my job and go full time).

-Is it too early to get a place together? We both want to and have talked about it many times, looked at apartments/houses together. I'm so in love and we have some much in common my heart says yes all the way.

-Any other replies to my verbose outpour of uncollected thoughts would be much appreciated.

I hope there's someone out there they can provide some feedback, sharing this information, even though somewhat anonymous brings much trepidation.

2. David2231

David2231 Guest

Re: If you read my story it would mean the world to me. I'm in a juxtaposed place in

Firstly: I'm happy that you found a guy that you think is your soul mate that's cute, it made me smile (*hug*).

Anyways:

These things happen to a lot of people, and it sucks. It truly does, if I was in your spot I would want your molester rotting away in a jail cell for life, but unfortunately that's not what happened and you need to get over it, whether it takes days, weeks, months, or years. That was the past, and if you wanna have a happy life and relationship you need to get out of the past, and walk forward into the future. Be happy. Try not to linger on traumatizing experiences. If you need help moving on, talk to your boyfriend (or a therapist). I feel like he's trustworthy if he told you about his problems.

It all depends on the person... If you feel he's going to run away screaming out the door right when you tell him, wait until you feel he's ready to hear what happened, and make sure to tell him that he changed your life for the better.

Unfortunately there will be people in your life that won't accept your sexuality. But then there will be people that will, and those are the kind of people that you need in your life. The people that stick by you regardless are true friends / family. I think that if you're already in love with someone and you're far into the relationship with them, tell your family and friends. You will have to tell them eventually!

Not really sure about this one... if you feel you wanna leave then go for it. It's all up to you, but if you get your masters more doors will open as well for good jobs.

Like I said before, it's all up to you guys. If you feel it's the right time and you both wanna do it, go for it. There isn't a "right time" for anything.

You're not alone, and I hope I helped. :icon_bigg
    Good luck to you both.

#2 David2231, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: If you read my story it would mean the world to me. I'm in a juxtaposed place in

Hi, and welcome to EC.

First, it takes a lot of courage and vulnerability (which are really the same thing) to talk about what happened to you and what you're feeling, so I admire and appreciate your openness in talking about this issue.

Second, pretty much everything you are describing (the ADD, the anxiety, the difficulty and confusion surrounding relationships, and the confusion about sexual orientation) are all very common side effects of childhood sexual abuse. There's too much to be able to go into in a forum posting, but suffice it to say that it is a combination of the sexual abuse itself, and the perceived power dynamic of the abuse (it wasn't your choice, even if you feel like you could have resisted) that are causing most of the issues you are feeling. Add on to that the shame you have about being abused, and the fact that you kept a very major secret from your family (due to the shame), and you have a potent emotional storm inside you.

This is, unfortunately, a very common thing. About 1 in 6 boys in the US are sexually abused, according to most of the research. But it isn't often talked about, simply because it's so shameful. And it needs to be talked about more.

In your case, you will need therapy. Without it, you're going to find a lot of difficulties with emotional and physical intimacy, and complications in relationships. All of these are byproducts of the abuse. Likely, the anger you are feeling is tied into the abuse as well; as you start working through the sexual orientation stuff, the underlying abuse stuff normally comes up with that. The good news is, with therapy, you can work through the issues and end up strong and emotionally healthy.

As to your abuser... if it helps any, I can all but assure you he's not normal and healthy and happy. He was almost certainly abused himself; a phenomenally high percentage of abusers were themselves abused (though only a small percentage of those abused go on to become abusers, so you needn't worry about yourself.) He may put on a good face, but I guarantee he struggles in numerous ways with his own demons.

As far as moving in together... my advice would be, at two months, it is too early. Early on in relationships, we're under the influence of oxytocin, a hormone secreted naturally by our endocrine system which basically creates "rose colored glasses"... everything looks rosy and wonderful. It is usually somewhere between 3 and 6 months that the effects of the oxytocin wear off, and only then can we really see what's going on with the relationship. Particularly in your case, there are likely to be a lot of challenges due to the abuse history, but he will also have his own issues (as do pretty much all gay men, due to the extra baggage we have.) I think it would be best for both of you to keep separate places for at least the first 6 to 12 months.

There is an online community I can recommend that is specifically for male sexual abuse survivors over 21. (there are several, but a lot of them are pretty screwed up and not very healthy places.) You might find it helpful to join there, as you'll be able to get a lot of insights from others who have been through similar situations. There are abuse survivors here at EC as well, but a lot more in that community. You can PM me if you'd like the website name and so forth.

You would probably also benefit from getting a copy of Mic Hunter's wonderful book "Abused Boys" and checking out Brené Brown's wonderful TED talk "The Power of Vulnerability"

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hi, and welcome to EC.

First, it takes a lot of courage and vulnerability (which are really the same thing) to talk about what happened to you and what you're feeling, so I admire and appreciate your openness in talking about this issue.

Second, pretty much everything you are describing (the ADD, the anxiety, the difficulty and confusion surrounding relationships, and the confusion about sexual orientation) are all very common side effects of childhood sexual abuse. There's too much to be able to go into in a forum posting, but suffice it to say that it is a combination of the sexual abuse itself, and the perceived power dynamic of the abuse (it wasn't your choice, even if you feel like you could have resisted) that are causing most of the issues you are feeling. Add on to that the shame you have about being abused, and the fact that you kept a very major secret from your family (due to the shame), and you have a potent emotional storm inside you.

This is, unfortunately, a very common thing. About 1 in 6 boys in the US are sexually abused, according to most of the research. But it isn't often talked about, simply because it's so shameful. And it needs to be talked about more.

In your case, you will need therapy. Without it, you're going to find a lot of difficulties with emotional and physical intimacy, and complications in relationships. All of these are byproducts of the abuse. Likely, the anger you are feeling is tied into the abuse as well; as you start working through the sexual orientation stuff, the underlying abuse stuff normally comes up with that. The good news is, with therapy, you can work through the issues and end up strong and emotionally healthy.

As to your abuser... if it helps any, I can all but assure you he's not normal and healthy and happy. He was almost certainly abused himself; a phenomenally high percentage of abusers were themselves abused (though only a small percentage of those abused go on to become abusers, so you needn't worry about yourself.) He may put on a good face, but I guarantee he struggles in numerous ways with his own demons.

As far as moving in together... my advice would be, at two months, it is too early. Early on in relationships, we're under the influence of oxytocin, a hormone secreted naturally by our endocrine system which basically creates "rose colored glasses"... everything looks rosy and wonderful. It is usually somewhere between 3 and 6 months that the effects of the oxytocin wear off, and only then can we really see what's going on with the relationship. Particularly in your case, there are likely to be a lot of challenges due to the abuse history, but he will also have his own issues (as do pretty much all gay men, due to the extra baggage we have.) I think it would be best for both of you to keep separate places for at least the first 6 to 12 months.

There is an online community I can recommend that is specifically for male sexual abuse survivors over 21. (there are several, but a lot of them are pretty screwed up and not very healthy places.) You might find it helpful to join there, as you'll be able to get a lot of insights from others who have been through similar situations. There are abuse survivors here at EC as well, but a lot more in that community. You can PM me if you'd like the website name and so forth.

You would probably also benefit from getting a copy of Mic Hunter's wonderful book "Abused Boys" and checking out Brené Brown's wonderful TED talk "The Power of Vulnerability"

5. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

There are a couple of things that i would do. First talk to your partner about your past. He will surly understand. Second, as everyone has stated you have some pent up anger and frustration being sexually abused at an early age. I would consult a therapist and/or a pastor. You may be saying wait no pastor - they will not understand my sexual orientation. I do have suggestion for you. I am unaware regarding your spiritual formation. However, seek out a Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) in your area. Call the pastor. You can set an appointment with him/her.

I am suggestion MCC because they understand the issues with coming out into the LGBT community. If you seek out a licensed therapist, seek one that has experience with gay and/or same sex issues.

Doing this will come to an understanding about your RAPE. As well as with your sexual orientation.

I hope this helps!