1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by scifit, Aug 8, 2013.

1. scifit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've told my friends that I'm gay and I feel good about it. I really want to tell my family but when I go to say it I freeze. Keeping the secret is making me ill as well can't sleep and I keep snapping at them, so they know something's up. I just need some advice.

2. Fiddledeedee

You could try writing them a letter about it, since then your voice can't freeze up. It can be long, with a story and explanations and so on (there are some examples here), which may be good if you're expecting a negative reaction; it can be short, just saying "I'm gay" to get you over the hump so that you can have a conversation about it with your family; it can be anything in between.

If you do, then I'd recommend handing it to them personally and waiting as they read it, so as to avoid anxiety from not knowing if it's been read or not and what the reaction is.

Whether you choose to use one or not, please keep us posted! :slight_smile:

3. Definitely write a letter to them telling the truth. If you feel uncomfortable telling them face-to-face, that's fine, but if the secret is eating you up and you want to tell them, just write the letter and leave it on your dad or mom's desk before you go to school. They'll have the whole day to ponder everything and you guys can discuss it when you get back. Just an idea, hope it helped. Good luck!

4. scifit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, I think I'll write the letter tonight and give it to them tomorrow. I'll post the letter on here before I give it to them.

5. lukeluvznicki13

Let us know how it goes
    I also get that freezing moment when I try tell people that I am bi, so i have only been able to come out to one friend of mine.
    My family seem to be the hardest to come out to :astonished:
    If the letter method works then I might try that too

6. bscott92

What I've done is tell people in an email or text that I need to talk to them about something important. Then they usually ask me about it when I see them....and I can't get out of it! I kind of force myself into a corner, and it's always better when it's over.

7. LuvMyIB

Coming out to family is so much different then coming out to friends. I think the last few posts says it all....write a letter or email. Writing is so much easier then actually speaking the words. Plus, I feel you can pour your heart and soul into a letter because you are thinking before you are writing. When writing be true to yourself. Don't write something you think everyone wants to read.... write what you are feeling inside. You have made the first step by coming out to friends.... I bet you felt a lil bit of a relief. You are ready to come out to find that peace of mind. I wish you all the luck and hope that it turns out the way that you are hoping. Please keep us posted.....

8. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    Writing it all out is a very good way, that way you can get the words out and if you feel too nervous to read it to them, you can always give them the letter. I find writing personally to be a lot easier, because it gets it all out clearer and it helps to feel better because you're writing out your thoughts and feelings.