1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

issues with coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by igoloo2946, Aug 8, 2013.

1. igoloo2946

Now that I think of it, pretty much my whole family knows I'm gay except for my dad who keeps denying it and thinks I'm just going through a stage or something :eusa_naug . I had been struggling with trust problems though because I get really paranoid after I tell a friend even though they've all kept it secret though (yes I do have amazing friends):icon_bigg but now I'm ready to come out and be a regular gay, instead of being halfway through the closet. The problem is that I play sports and it would be akward for another guy if he had to be next to me in the locker room (personaly I don't care for the akwardness in the locker room and I don't get aroused by being next to a group of guys naked).So would they not let me play sports if I came out as gay?
    P.s. I'm not transgender, just gay.

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

First off, I can totally understand that what you are going through is scary and really awkward.

Your dad will come around. Remember that there are 5 stages to loss, denial, anger, bargaining, grief, and acceptance. This happens with many people when they come out to themselves, and for others who really love them. You Dad probably had an idea early on, probably before you were even born even, that you were going to get older, be a strapping masculine young man, marry a beautiful wife, have a bizzilion kids, and live the good ole american dream. You can still do most of these things, but he has some skewed schema of gay people it seems, so he is having a hard time putting the pieces together. Dont let it alter the way you feel about him, or the way you two connect, just try and affirm that you are gay, and that you always have been, and that there is nothing that anybody could have done about it. He will come around, and realize how silly it is to act the way he is.

As for the team, no they cannot kick you off. If they try even, there are severe consequences. You are right, it is almost impossible to be aroused in a locker room setting, as it would create much embarrassment, the thing to try and remember is that you should just be yourself. You seem pretty comfortable with who you are, just reflect that comfort, and dont attach any kind of worth to what others think about you. If someone asks you if you are gay, just tell them what you think like its no big deal. You have been honest to yourself, and you havent let the feelings of others disturb your inner peace.

Lastly, I know there will be people will try to knock you down, just remember there are those out there who will pick you up, and push you forward. Dont shut them out, and dont close your heart. Be firm, be confident, and be yourself.

Much love,

3. nartleb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Love this Tyler guy! ^ You're awesome :slight_smile:

4. bscott92

Yep, have to agree with Tyler.

5. igoloo2946

Tyler,
    What you wrote was so beautiful and encouraging.I never really had someone explain these type of things to me before and I am so grateful for you and your wisdom. Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to write back to me.You have truly made my week.
    Much more love,
    Corey

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I am tickled, really.

I am sure you will be there for the next person who needs you! *hugs*