1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to homophobic family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Coltontoro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Coltontoro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bisexual and I'm not sure how to or if I even should come out to my family. My mom would probably be okay with it, but my dad brother stepmom and stepdad wouldn't. My mom doesn't do very well with secrets so I don't think I can tell her without others knowing.

2. lukeluvznicki13

I know how you are feeling. I am too scared to come out to my family since I know they are strong Christians etc.
    Maybe just try ease them about homosexuals first :slight_smile:

3. GayNerd

It depends on your age. If you are supporting yourself, you should tell your family. If you can't support yourself at the moment, wait until you can. The reason why this is important is because in case your family kicks you out.

However, wait until you are sure that then is the best time. You do not want to risk your parents kicking you out, because you don't want to live on the streets. Try seeing if you can change their mind about Bisexuality. But make sure that you don't come out when trying to change their mind. Not then, at least.

If your family's view about Bisexuality changes, then you can tell them. Just remember that they will still be surprised.

I hope this helps.

P.s. If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

#3 GayNerd, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. JoshuaLovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Age does matter. The sad truth is that some parents will kick their children out for being anything but straight. I can't imagine how any parent could ever do that, but they do. If you are still living with them you might want to think about why you are wanting to come out to them. If you are still happy and know that you can live with being in the closet until you are on your own, you should consider doing so. If its driving you to depression not telling them, well then you have to weigh your risks. When I was considering telling my parents I still lived with them. I had a very detailed plan laid out for what to do and where to go if I did get kicked out. It would be a good thing for you to do that as well. Even if you don't live with them there are a lot of things to consider. Are you ever going to date men? If you are and you would want your family to be a part of your relationships then it would be very necessary for them to know that you are bisexual. If you aren't going to date men then you need to ask yourself if you feel like you're living a lie by not telling them. If you aren't feeling like that then the question to ask yourself is how much does your relationship with your family members mean to you? It would be very hard to tell how your family members would react considering that we have never met them. So its up to you to decide whether or not they would continue to want to be a part of your life. Even for you it could be hard to tell. I know that I've heard of young men telling their fathers that they weren't straight, and their father from then on wouldn't talk to them. And they had had an excellent relationship up until that point. I wouldn't suggest living a double life if you are going to date men, though sometimes that does seem to be necessary if a family is severely homophobic but the LGBT party doesn't want to lose the relationship with them. Just weigh your options and decide what means the most to you. Find the people who you know would never leave you alone no matter what, and be ready to fall into them if you do decide to tell your family. A safety net is a very important thing when coming out. You have something of one here when it comes to always having people to talk to for support. But, having somewhere to stay, food, a shoulder to cry on. Those are the things that will mean the most if you are shunned by your family. I pray that your family would not do that to you. I hope that this helps : )

5. trumpetnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My family is the same way. I would suggest you come out slowly, maybe start with saying you're questioning your orientation, and later fully come out. I'm still struggling with coming out to my family, I haven't done it yet.