1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justjade, Aug 10, 2013.

1. justjade

I take classes online, so this is probably a really safe place to come out. However, all my classmates are girls/women. I think there's only been one other guy in my class, and I don't have any classes with him at the moment.

I'm taking classes through SWIHA. It's a pretty spiritual school. It's not religious, but it does have a spiritual center. I'm a little worried because I'm not sure how my identity will be accepted. However, I have some journaling assignments to do, and they're supposed to be about a time when I felt really isolated and/or frustrated. Those feelings have mainly revolved around my gender identity and coming to terms with it. I also think that posting these could help other classmates who are going through similar situations or know someone who is. Yes, the whole class will be able to read this. I only have 9 classmates in this class, though, and the teacher.

What I'm mainly worried about, though, is if they can expel me for being transgender. I work in a state where I could be fired for being transgender, but my school is in Arizona. I'm not sure about the laws there and how they apply to me being from West Virginia.

Any advice? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

2. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would look google the school and look for any any sort of policy about it. You might find something about expulsions needing to be based on "wrong doings" or some such thing which would give you the go ahead. Generally Arizona is quite conservative, but Phoenix has lots of very, very liberal parts. Schools also generally don't follow working discrimination laws. Private schools in states that have protection for LGBTQ employees still have the right to expel whatever students they want. Conversely, many schools in states that don't have protection laws won't expel LGBTQ students.

It will most likely be 100% fine, even if you can't find a policy that says they welcome diversity, etc. However, you're the only one who can make that decision because it's your life and education after all.

3. justjade

Thanks. The school is actually in Tempe. Not sure exactly where that is.

Anyway, I looked it up, and it basically says that any form of discrimination will not be tolerated. In fact, if anyone were to bother me about it, they could be expelled, according to the policy. That's pretty fantastic. If "on the basis of gender" includes gender identity, I'm in the clear. (!)

4. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! I bet your writing will be awesome!

5. justjade

Actually, I just posted it and am eagerly awaiting responses. Little bit nervous. Keep your fingers crossed. :icon_bigg

6. JustAnotherSoul

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooooh, exciting! Let me know how they respond!

7. justjade

8. BooksJeansTea

I, too, am waiting to see how they respond. :slight_smile: Good luck!

9. justjade

I got a response from one of my classmates just now! She actually knows a transman that she can put me into contact with since he's her best friend and she thinks talking to him would help me. This is really cool. So far, I haven't heard from my teacher, but I'm not worried about it. I'll be fine. Just really excited. She sent me her phone number. This is really awesome! She also has several LGBT relatives. Must be that law of attraction thing we've been talking about in class.