1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out little by little?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clockworkfox, Aug 11, 2013.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would it be ok to come out slowly? Like, to start off by telling people I'm questioning my gender, that things feel off, and eventually come to tell them that I'm trans? It seems like, if they're going to be accepting, they'd be able to follow me though this thing, slowly come to terms with what makes me comfortable as far as identity and expression goes, and maybe the scale of transition won't be so shocking or uncomfortable. I think that maybe I'd be able to get a better response as a whole from more people because I'd be giving them more time to adjust, and maybe by following me through my transition every step of the way they'd be able to see that I'm still the same person on a fundamental level, even if the changes I make physically are drastic. I know some people are bound to not handle this well, it happens. I'm just wondering if a slower approach might be less shocking, and maybe make some people a little more understanding.

A lot of people say it's best to just get it all out at once, but that just seems so overwhelming.

Has anyone come out in the way I described above, step by step? What were your experiences? Did you end up finding support in unlikely places? Do you think that people were more supportive and understanding than you imagine they'd be if you just said, flat out, "I'm trans"?

2. trumpetnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you live in an area that's very supportive of LGBT people? If so, it may be best just to throw it out there all at once. However, if your area can be kind of homophobic in general, it's probably a good idea to come out in steps. When I came out to my friends (I'm still in the closet to my family) I sorta just said it all at once. And so far, all my friends have been amazing and supportive about it, I've only had a few comments from some homophobic people at my school but I just brushed them off.

Good luck with all this! :slight_smile: