1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aj7, Aug 11, 2013.

1. aj7

aj7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

Over the past year or so, I have came to the conclusion that I am gay. Ever since I have realized that, I have this urge to come out to someone, but it seems very challenging for me to do so. To start, I would like to tell my dad (my mom seems homophobic) because he seems like he would probably be the only one in my super conservative family who would understand me. Since my parents think I am straight, they are always asking me and talking to me about girls, but I show a complete lack of interest. The more they do that, the more it makes me want to come out to them, but every time I think about telling them and every possible situation that seems like the right moment, I lose courage, and completely give up. How can I find courage to come out, and how would I go about doing it? Especially for the first time, telling my dad.

Thank you so much!

2. kresukun

Me and you are together in this boat. It is hard for me aswell, I'm 19 and have not told anyone (except on here). Best advice I can say is have a plan such as someplace you can go in case of the worst case scenario and they kick you out, not saying it will happen but be prepared.

Secondly, they are your parents and they've loved you, if you tell them they might hate you but they might also accept you with open arms.

I'm not saying it is easy because it isn't. But you are not alone, I feel how much you are struggling, if you can come out to your parents and feel comfortable that is great.

But mainly, you will know when is right to tell them. Feel strong and confident. Respect yourself. Love yourself.

Good Luck. Everyone on the site is here to talk. (*hug*)

3. whattagirl

I think the best way to go is to build a support group. So, tell someone that you 100% sure will react well. If that's your dad, so be it. Now, I'm not the best person to give advise on coming out, but I've received a lot of it. Just be calm and tell your dad that you need to talk. Then just rip off the band-aid. It'll be easier than you think, and who knows, maybe he's already guessed.