1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to be Supportive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tayana, May 16, 2008.

1. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My girlfriend and I have been living together for almost two months now. It's been going really well. We're working on our new house and are happy together.

Today, she was fired from her job. She's been looking for a new job for over a month, and hasn't really had any offers. She thinks she's a loser because she can't find something else. I don't like the fact that she's so down on herself, but nothing I say helps. She still think she's a loser and that I'm going to leave her because she can't pay her part of the bills right now.

I know we all get down on our luck, and I"m trying to be supportive. I'm just afraid she's going to wallow in self-pity and let this get her down. I really try to be positive and supportive, but I have to admit I'm a little scared too, because now I have to handle all of the bills alone. I have a good job, but it might not be quite that good.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

From a practical aspect, talk to the people you owe money too, especially loans and credit cards etc, tell them what's happened and that you are having trouble making the payments until she gets back into work, and see what they can offer to help. Often if you are honest with them and contact them before you get into debt, they will try to help. However if you wait until they are sending threatening letters then it is often too late.

Do what you can to help your g/f find a job. It shows you are supporting her, and indeed may actually help too. Is there anything going where you work - in a different department or office perhaps?

Almost any job will do for now. Being unemployed because you've been fired makes you more difficult to employ than someone who is already in a job. So encourage her to go for things that may be below what she would normally choose, so she has a job and an income again.

I really hope she gets sorted soon. Be there for her as much as possible, and do what you can to support her. A month is not a long time when job-hunting; it can sometimes take a few months to find and be accepted for something suitable. So she shouldn't feel she is a loser. She's just been unlucky that the right one isn't available yet.

Fingers crossed for you both!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Continue being supportive. Let her know that she's being much more to you than a paycheck. :slight_smile: The economy sucks right now, and it's not as easy to find a job as it was a year or two ago. Offer your services in whatever capacity you can - proofread her resumes and cover letters, drive her to interviews, whatever. Let her know that times might get rough, but you'll get through it. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Paul. One way in which you can show that you support her is in helping her finding a job, even if it means just printing off job adds or going to the unemployment office with her.

Continue showing her that you care about her and that you will support her and be there for you regardless of how long it takes to find a new job.

Hope this is of some help and that all will turn out well for the both of you!